2450 (78mm x 100mm) engine build
- Wally
- Posts: 4575
- Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:01 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Depends.., some had good luck with, others did not. Maybe the quality wasn't consistent? I dunno.
-
Arnoud
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Didn't EMPI produce 100mm type4 P&C's?I remember the ads in Hot VW's in the 80's.
- Tony Z
- Posts: 1244
- Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:01 am
Re: 2400 engine build
I think it was EMPI that had the 100mm jugs. I've worked on an aero engine that was tagged as having 100mm EMPI cylinders
The good EMPI
The good EMPI
- Clatter
- Posts: 2056
- Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:01 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Oh, Man.. This build is getting good.
Just had to read it all again.
T1 lifters will work with a BIG cam.
Also like those shuffle pins..
Now you almost _have_ to build the thing to rev to the moon!
On the first page of your thread here,
You showed some 100mm pistons..
How do they fit in those aluminum cylinders??
Did you ever find a good crank?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Just had to read it all again.
T1 lifters will work with a BIG cam.
Also like those shuffle pins..
Now you almost _have_ to build the thing to rev to the moon!
On the first page of your thread here,
You showed some 100mm pistons..
How do they fit in those aluminum cylinders??
Did you ever find a good crank?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Speedier than a Fasting Bullet!
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
Beginners' how-to Type 4 build thread ---> http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=145853
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Looked at those also….
Didn t empi had markings on them, the empi globe. can not find them on the cilinders..
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Not yet tested them… but yeah if people on her now know what cilinders they are I want to use them with the JE pistons..Clatter wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm Oh, Man.. This build is getting good.
Just had to read it all again.
T1 lifters will work with a BIG cam.
Also like those shuffle pins..
Now you almost _have_ to build the thing to rev to the moon!
On the first page of your thread here,
You showed some 100mm pistons..
How do they fit in those aluminum cylinders??
Did you ever find a good crank?
Inquiring minds want to know!
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Remebered this old post info..The Empi had other head and case sizesEddie010 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 am Ok,
Fall/winter is coming so I am starting with machining parts for this engine.
But a question, what would you guys suggest for the sizes to machine the heads and case for the 100 mm cilinders?
I can machine the deutz cilinder in whatever size I want so.
Case is now still standard 100mm
Heads still standard 105mm
I have found some info on cilinder sizes and case and heads sizes
Type 4 Empi 100mm - case 106mm - heads 108mm
Type 4 LN Nickies 100mm - case 108.5 - heads 115mm
Type 4 AA 103mm - case 109mm - heads 115mm
Type 4 Mahle 103mm - case 106.8 - heads 112mm
So what are you guys think also considering good sealing for the heads with the 100mm pistons/cilinder.
Thanks in regards
-
Arnoud
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
The only remaining option I know of are the ones used by Grob in their 2500e1 engine:they used 100mm P&C's but if they are Aluminium-dunno..
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Saw some pictures of the LN nickies, those have more cooling fins on the head side, and more overall.
Then checked the QSC website for picture... I am tempting to say the cooling fins look the same as the QSC ones.
But keep ideas coming.
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Ok a small question.
Asked also in another post on here.. but hey try it in 2 post.
Does anybody now what the side play has to be on the solid rocker set up?
Thanks in advance
Edgar
Asked also in another post on here.. but hey try it in 2 post.
Does anybody now what the side play has to be on the solid rocker set up?
Thanks in advance
Edgar
-
wreck
- Posts: 512
- Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am
Re: 2400 engine build
when I set mine up ,I went with a loose 0 .just so I could easily spin the spacer . I also made a grove every 90 degrees for any splash oil access on both ends of the spacer .
I figured that the cylinder head will expand with heat and the spacer will get more clearance at running temperature . 20,000km on, so far no issues .
I figured that the cylinder head will expand with heat and the spacer will get more clearance at running temperature . 20,000km on, so far no issues .
No matter where you go , there you are !
-
Eddie010
- Posts: 305
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Thanks...wreck wrote: ↑Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 am when I set mine up ,I went with a loose 0 .just so I could easily spin the spacer . I also made a grove every 90 degrees for any splash oil access on both ends of the spacer .
I figured that the cylinder head will expand with heat and the spacer will get more clearance at running temperature . 20,000km on, so far no issues .
in another post I saw it set on 0.10 mm which is also loose...
So wil go for that..
- MegaRookie
- Posts: 149
- Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm
Re: 2400 engine build
Hi Eddie, I know its not (completely) compareable, but it gives you an idea. The boltable shafts I bought for my T1 engine years ago had a description (Hotrod) which says that each rocker should have at least 0.15mm axial clearance.
I thought I had the 914-4 info on that subject somewhere, but I cannot find it in the books I have here.
Mark
I thought I had the 914-4 info on that subject somewhere, but I cannot find it in the books I have here.
Mark
-
Arnoud
- Posts: 116
- Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 7:27 am
Re: 2400 engine build
Hi Eddie!
I made my own and kept 0.1mm sideclearance.
I made my own and kept 0.1mm sideclearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
bushoarder
- Posts: 120
- Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:33 pm
Re: 2400 engine build
What steel did you use for your shafts Arnoud?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk