Page 7 of 26

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:58 am
by Wally
Depends.., some had good luck with, others did not. Maybe the quality wasn't consistent? I dunno.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am
by Arnoud
Didn't EMPI produce 100mm type4 P&C's?I remember the ads in Hot VW's in the 80's.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 am
by Tony Z
I think it was EMPI that had the 100mm jugs. I've worked on an aero engine that was tagged as having 100mm EMPI cylinders
The good EMPI

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm
by Clatter
Oh, Man.. This build is getting good.
Just had to read it all again.
T1 lifters will work with a BIG cam.
Also like those shuffle pins..

Now you almost _have_ to build the thing to rev to the moon!


On the first page of your thread here,
You showed some 100mm pistons..
How do they fit in those aluminum cylinders??

Did you ever find a good crank?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:09 pm
by Eddie010
Arnoud wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:56 am Didn't EMPI produce 100mm type4 P&C's?I remember the ads in Hot VW's in the 80's.
Tony Z wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:49 am I think it was EMPI that had the 100mm jugs. I've worked on an aero engine that was tagged as having 100mm EMPI cylinders
The good EMPI
Looked at those also….
Didn t empi had markings on them, the empi globe. can not find them on the cilinders..

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:12 pm
by Eddie010
Clatter wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm Oh, Man.. This build is getting good.
Just had to read it all again.
T1 lifters will work with a BIG cam.
Also like those shuffle pins..

Now you almost _have_ to build the thing to rev to the moon!


On the first page of your thread here,
You showed some 100mm pistons..
How do they fit in those aluminum cylinders??

Did you ever find a good crank?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Not yet tested them… but yeah if people on her now know what cilinders they are I want to use them with the JE pistons.. :wink:

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:23 pm
by Eddie010
Eddie010 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 am Ok,

Fall/winter is coming so I am starting with machining parts for this engine.
But a question, what would you guys suggest for the sizes to machine the heads and case for the 100 mm cilinders?

I can machine the deutz cilinder in whatever size I want so.
Case is now still standard 100mm
Heads still standard 105mm

I have found some info on cilinder sizes and case and heads sizes
Type 4 Empi 100mm - case 106mm - heads 108mm
Type 4 LN Nickies 100mm - case 108.5 - heads 115mm
Type 4 AA 103mm - case 109mm - heads 115mm
Type 4 Mahle 103mm - case 106.8 - heads 112mm

So what are you guys think also considering good sealing for the heads with the 100mm pistons/cilinder.

Thanks in regards
Remebered this old post info..The Empi had other head and case sizes

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:55 pm
by Arnoud
The only remaining option I know of are the ones used by Grob in their 2500e1 engine:they used 100mm P&C's but if they are Aluminium-dunno..

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:23 am
by Eddie010
Wally wrote: ↑Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 am Photo link doesn't work..
Correction, now they do ;-) Nickies is trademark for LNengineering nikasils iirc... those are not LN.
Could be QSC ?
Saw some pictures of the LN nickies, those have more cooling fins on the head side, and more overall.
Then checked the QSC website for picture... I am tempting to say the cooling fins look the same as the QSC ones.

But keep ideas coming.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:21 am
by Eddie010
Ok a small question.

Asked also in another post on here.. but hey try it in 2 post.
Does anybody now what the side play has to be on the solid rocker set up?

Thanks in advance

Edgar

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 am
by wreck
when I set mine up ,I went with a loose 0 .just so I could easily spin the spacer . I also made a grove every 90 degrees for any splash oil access on both ends of the spacer .
I figured that the cylinder head will expand with heat and the spacer will get more clearance at running temperature . 20,000km on, so far no issues .

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 am
by Eddie010
wreck wrote: ↑Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 am when I set mine up ,I went with a loose 0 .just so I could easily spin the spacer . I also made a grove every 90 degrees for any splash oil access on both ends of the spacer .
I figured that the cylinder head will expand with heat and the spacer will get more clearance at running temperature . 20,000km on, so far no issues .
Thanks...
in another post I saw it set on 0.10 mm which is also loose...
So wil go for that..

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:12 pm
by MegaRookie
Hi Eddie, I know its not (completely) compareable, but it gives you an idea. The boltable shafts I bought for my T1 engine years ago had a description (Hotrod) which says that each rocker should have at least 0.15mm axial clearance.

I thought I had the 914-4 info on that subject somewhere, but I cannot find it in the books I have here.

Mark

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:35 pm
by Arnoud
Hi Eddie!

I made my own and kept 0.1mm sideclearance.

Re: 2400 engine build

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:37 pm
by bushoarder
What steel did you use for your shafts Arnoud?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk