Page 61 of 65
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:36 am
by Piledriver
The complete running vehicle is worth more than if you separate the motor and rest IMHO.
(a full part out may be more... or not, we are talking a beetle, so selling stock parts can be a losing battle)
The worth of a 1600DP varies greatly, receipts talk, or it's a core, maybe $250 unless it LOOKS new and has great compression and oil pressure.
Don't let the guy "test" anything, you will never see your motor or money again.
If you still want to do it, insist he leave his Porsche motor as collateral, and chain it to something big. Inside.
(There are parts of that motor that good cores are worth more than you are asking)
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:17 am
by Sneaks
Piledriver wrote:
If you still want to do it, insist he leave his Porsche motor as collateral, and chain it to something big.
I'll lend you Trapper. Only drawback is your sister might have an issue...
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:07 am
by CopperBaja
Piledriver: Are you sure you are talking East Coast prices?
Maybe in SoCal and the other Southwest areas, you can pick up a running 1600dp for $250-300. Not typical in the East Coast. Even here, I've seen running engines for no less than $400. Much more rare on the right coast.
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:09 pm
by ajdenette
To put things in perspective I picked up a Vanagon 1.9 for 100 dollars that included the full engine, new water pump, and a pile of new parts, which when researched totaled 1,000 dollars of new parts and I was the only inquiry in all of Massachusetts. There isn’t much of a market here I have a pile of bus parts sitting collecting dust even with adds

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:31 pm
by Sneaks
ajdenette wrote:There isn’t much of a market here I have a pile of bus parts sitting collecting dust even with adds

We might need to talk. I just picked up a 79 Bus, I'll be bringing it home this weekend.
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm
by bajaherbie
Sneaks wrote:ajdenette wrote:There isn’t much of a market here I have a pile of bus parts sitting collecting dust even with adds

We might need to talk. I just picked up a 79 Bus, I'll be bringing it home this weekend.
homie, i thought you were rollin' dirty in that big ol' Cadillac......
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:20 pm
by Sneaks
bajaherbie wrote:Sneaks wrote:ajdenette wrote:There isn’t much of a market here I have a pile of bus parts sitting collecting dust even with adds

We might need to talk. I just picked up a 79 Bus, I'll be bringing it home this weekend.
homie, i thought you were rollin' dirty in that big ol' Cadillac......
Dood, I be pimpin' in the Caddy, at least until it sells. You see me rollin', I see 'em hatin'.
Them being my neighbors.
I'm almost ashamed to admit I kinda like the Deville. It's comfortable, relatively quick and actually knocks down about 25mpg...but I feel like I should be in a gangsta rap video, white trash cruising in a Cadillac...I was at a light yesterday between a Mercedes and an older 911 and the car fit right in...too bad I felt like a poser.
Not to hijack nlw's thread too much but I really like the bus and the price is so right.
$500

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:31 am
by namelesswonder
Hmm well thank you all for the thoughts, I will keep the price ranges in mind. I kind of want to take a break from trying to sell, but I'm a little worried about finding buyers later. Is it just me or does Fall seem like a better time to try to sell? There weren't many other AC VW listings on Boston Craigslist this summer up till recently (course those are all shiny and nice...). My boyfriend and I are going to take a stab at the muffler business this week while my family is on vacation, and I'll sort through parts as well, since I've had a few inquiries. I really would like to sell the whole car in one go, but the camera guy doesn't want it, as far as I can tell.
At least it looks like I'm getting a job soon...
Also I liked SoCal quite a bit, even if it was less than pleasant experience being there for a funeral (it was mostly the family that was bad, my boyfriend has some crazy relatives).
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:42 pm
by Joxracing
i say tell that camera to shove it.
you could easily get 2500 for it if you had it running and driving in these parts....
and if you sell in fall, you might really wanna put emphises(?) on the new heat exchangers...
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:58 pm
by namelesswonder
^Heh maybe I should move there. The leak is not going to be fixed by me, so that brings down the price, esp. 'cause I don't know what's causing it for sure. There's no way that's changing unless I opt to keep the car, and then I'd still have to get someone else to do the work.
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm
by Sneaks
ajdenette wrote: There isn’t much of a market here I have a pile of bus parts sitting collecting dust even with adds

There is now. I'm starting a shopping list...
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm
by fusername
but if you buy traling arms from him, I'll kill you. I have a box of about 7, nice ball joints on all of em so I can't bring myself to throw em away, but what the heck am I gonna do with em? they are heeeeavy, I have to keep rearanging the stacks casue whatever box ends out under em collapses in a few weeks.
also, AJ has everything you need, and then some
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:04 pm
by ajdenette
For some reason I have an odd number left and no complete sets of front trailing arms

I wonder where I could get the ones to complete at least one set of them

Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:46 am
by namelesswonder
If anyone has tips on installing parking brake cables, I'd be much appreciated. I thought they were too short (well my dad did, and from what he did, they just barely come out of the tunnel), but checking on cip1, it looks like I need 68.9" cables, and the shortest possible cables for Beetles or Ghias is for a slightly earlier Beetle at 68.6". Something tells me that is not quite enough for it to matter, and something was not done right to get them installed, whether or not they're the right cables. Any suggestions on how to get the cables all the way out of the tunnel?
I cleaned up the interior yesterday, clean carpets and shiny dash & door panels will hopefully help with any interested buyers. With any luck, I'll have at least one guy coming to take a look next week.
I wasn't convinced by a local auto shop's discussion on their ability to attach the exhaust and muffler for me, when they started asking about what parts/seals I had. He said something about 4 gaskets...there definitely aren't 4 gaskets. So I guess I'm doing it myself at some point, I'm just loathe to do it.
Re: Franz, the thunder pumpkin! - Dead project
Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:50 am
by david58
I forget what year is your car? I will be back with cable info. Give me a minute or two.