RAT dyno tuning
-
regis101
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2001 1:01 am
RAT dyno tuning
Greetings. IIRC, when you dyno tune a customers engine, one of the runs is at 20% (?) load to simulate real time? If so, what load would you run a bus engine? My point is that I'm still trying to justify that one of your 2270's with somewhere around 150hp/150tq would survive in a bus/westy knowing that the cruise rpm range is 3-4k. Am I still pissin' in the wind? Thanks, Regis
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
Regis,
I have tried to configure 2270 engines for use in a Bay window Bus and without Nickies the results have been less than favorable. The issues are mostly related to the temperature delta that the stock shroud promotes when under such heavy load, especially at lower RPM.
My dyno tuning for complete engines not only tests the engine at full throttle, but also at 10, 25 and 50% loads across the RPM range.
I no longer offer dyno service for individuals, only for my complete, turn key customers. This is mostly due to trying to pick up the pace here and shorten wait times for turn key engines back down to the 5-6 month range...
I have tried to configure 2270 engines for use in a Bay window Bus and without Nickies the results have been less than favorable. The issues are mostly related to the temperature delta that the stock shroud promotes when under such heavy load, especially at lower RPM.
My dyno tuning for complete engines not only tests the engine at full throttle, but also at 10, 25 and 50% loads across the RPM range.
I no longer offer dyno service for individuals, only for my complete, turn key customers. This is mostly due to trying to pick up the pace here and shorten wait times for turn key engines back down to the 5-6 month range...
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
- gaston
- Posts: 195
- Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:27 pm
Yep.
With heat soak you mean heat transfer (heating the air by comming into the combustion chamber)? This means you lost a lot of energy by cooling wich is not available for power - so thermic efficency is low. I think the problem/limitation of all Type1/Type4 engines are the head designs which doesn't allow good flame fronts. This is why i asked in an other thread for 4 valve heads for Type 4 engines (centric plug => good flame front => better thermic efficency, exhaut polution, power,..).
Don't get pissed. It's no attack against you. I'm discussing limitations of the general head design and how to improve it.
Oliver
With heat soak you mean heat transfer (heating the air by comming into the combustion chamber)? This means you lost a lot of energy by cooling wich is not available for power - so thermic efficency is low. I think the problem/limitation of all Type1/Type4 engines are the head designs which doesn't allow good flame fronts. This is why i asked in an other thread for 4 valve heads for Type 4 engines (centric plug => good flame front => better thermic efficency, exhaut polution, power,..).
Don't get pissed. It's no attack against you. I'm discussing limitations of the general head design and how to improve it.
Oliver
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
I think he meant "giant hot iron cylinders" more than heads.
Nickies apparently solve the issue, the combustion chamber is the same, soo....
Nickies apparently solve the issue, the combustion chamber is the same, soo....
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.