Page 1 of 1

1.7L Heads V.S. 2.0 Heads and the 9550 Cam

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:44 am
by Daniel G
Jake, do you think the 9550 cam I got from you would work well with stock 1.7L heads, or should I just go with the 42x36mm valves in an otherwise stock 2.0 bus head? Here's a refresher on my engine specs:

Dual 40 Dell Carbs
2.0 Crank with stock rods
Bus Vac Advance Distributor (going to upgrade to a Mallory at some point)
94mm pistons (stock bus)

Tri Mil Offroad Header


I've got a set of 1.7 cores sitting on a shelf, and if they were good I thought about sending them to Len to get worked on (since he's taking a batch right now). If they won't with the 9550 cam, then I will just hang on to them for a future build, and wait and have a set of 2.0's rebuilt later.

Thanks,

Daniel

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:32 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Should work fine.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:07 am
by HAM Inc
Daniel you will be much better of putting the oversize valves in the 1.7's The 2.0 bus heads have the same flow and are probably have internal cracks that the 1.7's don't. Used 2.0 bus heads are EASILY the most likely to have terminal cracks. And since they show up after or during the work processes, they can cause some real heartache and bad feelings.

Approach at your own risk.

Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:04 pm
by Daniel G
Ok, that is good to know. I sent you an email Len.


Daniel