Page 1 of 1
Right Bosh Plug
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:30 am
by Bug-a-natic
Hey Guys tell me what is the right Bosh plug to use? I notice U'all mentioning the NGK but what would be the comparable Bosch plug to use?
Thanks in advance.
Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:12 am
by Marc
What engine are you referring to?
For a stock carbureted bug engine the standard Bosch plug is a W8AC (equivalent to the old W145 specified in the manual). For severe service you might want to go one heat range colder to a W7AC (W175).
I do not recommend Bosch Platinum plugs with a stock ignition system.
This assumes original-style Type I heads with 14mm, ½" reach plug threads - there are heads out there with 3/4"-reach, even some that take 12mm plugs. If you're talking about a Type IV, that's a whole 'nuther answer.
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm
by Piledriver
For a stock to middling T4, the Bosch triple electrode W7DTCs work VERY well, and last a lot longer than a Super, at least.
They may require less timing than what you have been running, suggest Jakes recommendation od 28BTDC total mechanical, or even LESS.
(You will want more initial. I currently run 15 BTDC, 26 total + vac can)
These woudl PROBABLY also work well if you have a T1 w/14mm,3/4" reach plugs (many aftermarket heads) but as I haven't had a T1 in ~20 years, I'm only guessing.
The NGK equivalent to the W7DTC (BP6ET/281...sumthing) is EVERY BIT AS GOOD as the Bosch plug, and is available everywhere for ~1/2 the price of the Bosch plug.