Camper Special + stock EFI + SVDA = ?

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
rcnotes
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Camper Special + stock EFI + SVDA = ?

Post by rcnotes »

I ordered a camper special rebuild kit for my '79 2.0 EFI from Jake and am at the steep end of the curve. I'm looking for info on how other folks handled installing the stock EFI and SVDA distributor with that engine kit.

How does the Mallory centrifugal dist fit with the stock EFI?

How do I handle the vacuum requirements of the EFI when using a centrifugal dist?

Can the SVDA be set up to perform efficiently or is the Mallory the way to go?

Which dist achieves lower head temps with the leat amount of futzing around?

TIA, Rick
User avatar
tuna
Posts: 2531
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2000 12:01 am

Post by tuna »

This question would be better suited in Jake's forum, as it's directed to his customers.

Tuna
rcnotes
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Post by rcnotes »

Thanks! Air Cooled Technology is the right one? I see that Jake posts a lot to his customers here.
User avatar
raygreenwood
Posts: 11914
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:01 am

Post by raygreenwood »

I assume the stock EFI is L-jet? The distributor drops in just like teh stock one. There should be littleelse to do. The system triggers from teh coil I believe.
As far a vacuum....the manifold/EFI system was supplying vacuum to the distributor. If the distributor does not require it....nothing else changes to the EFI system. Ray
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

If you don't get the vacuum advance version of the the Mallory, you will have hotter heads, less drivability, and suck more gas, esp around town.

Either unit likely needs to be recurved to work really right.
On the mallory it is easy. Not much harder on a stock dist...Not sure on the SVDA.

MAllory is a beautiful unit otherwise. Oh, don't forget you really want the Unilite as well.

Your call.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Slick redirect, Tuna. Nicely done. :D
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
rcnotes
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Post by rcnotes »

I'm currently running a Bosch SVDA with a Pertronix and L Jet EFI. It sounds like the stock dist will work ok, but the Mallory with unilite works better. I'm headed in that direction. Thanks for the info!
Locked