Page 1 of 1
core exchanges?
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:07 pm
by suntour
Jake,
What is involved with core parts when you purchase an engine kit? I have a 1.7 liter from a 914 torn down and I am wondering what I can get rid of and what I need to keep?
Are these cylinders to small to be used as core exchanges? Do I have to hang on to the crank, cam, lifters, etc? I want to clear my garage of all the extra crap building up but keep the core exchange parts.
Thanks
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:22 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Each kit has a different set of cores, depending on how many of the parts in the kit are based from "cores"..
What kit are you contemplating?
The 1.7 core cylinders cannot be used for substitutions for 93/94mm cylinders..
Posted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:38 pm
by suntour
Either the 2056 or 2270, I just don’t know if I need the HP and Torque of the 2270 if it’s going to spend 75% of its life stuck in L.A. traffic.
So I can toss the cylinders and pistons? Yay! One less thing taking up space in my garage. Anything else I can toss?
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:59 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
cam, liftrs and oil pump are also not needed..
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:01 am
by dstar5000
Folks are looking for used 1700cc pistons(90mm) all the time!
Put them in the Fer Sale section!
Don
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:00 am
by Daniel G
Yeah, I'd definitely sell them if they are original VW. They could be bored out to 90.5 easily...
Daniel
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:58 am
by dstar5000
IF they are OEM, it isn't as *easy* as you think.
1mm doesn't sound like a lot, until you have bored a OEM cyl,
you don't know what it takes.
Jake can tell ya how long it takes to take 1 cyl from 94 to 96mm
and you WOULD be VERY surprised!
Don
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:50 pm
by Daniel G
dstar5000 wrote:IF they are OEM, it isn't as *easy* as you think.
1mm doesn't sound like a lot, until you have bored a OEM cyl,
you don't know what it takes.
Jake can tell ya how long it takes to take 1 cyl from 94 to 96mm
and you WOULD be VERY surprised!
Don
I should have been more clear when I posted. What I meant was that they could be bored out by a machine shop and used with 90.5 pistons easily...
Daniel
Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:39 am
by dstar
Daniel G wrote:
I should have been more clear when I posted. What I meant was that they could be bored out by a machine shop and used with 90.5 pistons easily...
Daniel
Yea, I understood Daniel, just gigging ya!
and lettign you know how hard it si to remove metal from an OEM cyl....
I was gonna hone a 90 out to 90.5 with my Sears glazebreaker hone(about 500 grit me thinks) and gave up after two cans of WD-40 and almost burning up the brushes in my 3600RPM drill.....
Hey, I got it to 90.22.......and 90.27...and 90.32.......at the bottom.....
Have cyls BORED, not honed to size.......
Don