Oil temp issue
- type11969
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 12:01 am
Oil temp issue
Jake-
Along with my valve clearance issue, I noticed on my drive the other day (90 humid degrees) that my oil temp was pushing past 220 while going 70-75. At 60-65, things would be okay (except for getting driven off the road). I'm running a mild 1.8 using Joe L.'s DTM, 30mm T1 pump, and Royal Purple 5W-30 oil. Oil pressure is never an issue, although at 220 degrees and idling, pressure did dip below the 10psi per 1000 rpm rule. I don't think I should need an additional oil cooler, but it seems like a small aux. cooler would keep the higher rpm oil temps down. What do you think?
-Chris
Along with my valve clearance issue, I noticed on my drive the other day (90 humid degrees) that my oil temp was pushing past 220 while going 70-75. At 60-65, things would be okay (except for getting driven off the road). I'm running a mild 1.8 using Joe L.'s DTM, 30mm T1 pump, and Royal Purple 5W-30 oil. Oil pressure is never an issue, although at 220 degrees and idling, pressure did dip below the 10psi per 1000 rpm rule. I don't think I should need an additional oil cooler, but it seems like a small aux. cooler would keep the higher rpm oil temps down. What do you think?
-Chris
- dstar
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
I think most of your oil doesn't get to go through the cooler!
It just gets dumped back into the case, from that 30mm pump.....
The factory used 26mm gears and the galleys are sized for that.
IF you want to INCREASE one thing on an engine, it affects other things.
My suggestion is to put a stronger spring in the pressure relief, or just
use a T1 piston, which is 1.5mm longer and will decrease the chance of
the oil getting *dumped* back into the case.
John, @ aircooled.net has gone over this in the SPeed and Drag forum recently, you may want to dig up that post.
John also sells a seat cutter that cuts the seat for the piston, as most of them are leaky from the factory.
Don
It just gets dumped back into the case, from that 30mm pump.....
The factory used 26mm gears and the galleys are sized for that.
IF you want to INCREASE one thing on an engine, it affects other things.
My suggestion is to put a stronger spring in the pressure relief, or just
use a T1 piston, which is 1.5mm longer and will decrease the chance of
the oil getting *dumped* back into the case.
John, @ aircooled.net has gone over this in the SPeed and Drag forum recently, you may want to dig up that post.
John also sells a seat cutter that cuts the seat for the piston, as most of them are leaky from the factory.
Don
- type11969
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 12:01 am
- dstar
- Posts: 3733
- Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:01 am
For temporarily *trying it*, take out the screw and put a thick washer on it and screw it back in and see if it decreases the temp.
IT's a case of a little leaking long enough to take the tension out of the spring, then the springs lets MORE hot oil out and it gets weaker, and weaker and lets MORE hot oil flow over it and it gets weaker and weaker....and MORE oil gets let out.....
Don
IT's a case of a little leaking long enough to take the tension out of the spring, then the springs lets MORE hot oil out and it gets weaker, and weaker and lets MORE hot oil flow over it and it gets weaker and weaker....and MORE oil gets let out.....
Don
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
215-220 is not hot.. Its on the upper end of the operating spectrum.
I wouldsay that the oil is too thin for one and for the second that the engine may not have optimum tuning.
What lower cylinder tins are you running?
As long as you have 40-45 PSI @ 3K RPM you are fine. More than 50 PSI at that temp aand RPM is robbing HP and is un necessary.
A 2056 with a DTM should never need an external cooler, I have ran one at 10:1 in 90+F heat in an early beetle and didn't need an external cooler.
Now, if your cam is dying you could be extrude honing the oil passages, ppump and bearings dropping the oil pressure. verify camshaft before going further.
I wouldsay that the oil is too thin for one and for the second that the engine may not have optimum tuning.
What lower cylinder tins are you running?
As long as you have 40-45 PSI @ 3K RPM you are fine. More than 50 PSI at that temp aand RPM is robbing HP and is un necessary.
A 2056 with a DTM should never need an external cooler, I have ran one at 10:1 in 90+F heat in an early beetle and didn't need an external cooler.
Now, if your cam is dying you could be extrude honing the oil passages, ppump and bearings dropping the oil pressure. verify camshaft before going further.
- type11969
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 12:01 am
I'm sorry, the oil temp was at 220 and was climbing.
I'm running std t1 lower tins.
This is only a 1.8 with a DTM, so I really don't think I need an ext. cooler, but temps certainly are climbing. It doesn't seem like my cam is going flat due to our conversation earlier today, but I'll pull a lifter or two to check it out.
-Chris
I'm running std t1 lower tins.
This is only a 1.8 with a DTM, so I really don't think I need an ext. cooler, but temps certainly are climbing. It doesn't seem like my cam is going flat due to our conversation earlier today, but I'll pull a lifter or two to check it out.
-Chris
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
- type11969
- Posts: 745
- Joined: Mon May 07, 2001 12:01 am
Gearing . . . hmm, good question. I believe it is a SSC tranny from a superbeetle, but I bought it a while ago at a swap meet for 50 bucks and I don't remember the details. On 195/60/15s (ft) 205/60/15s (rear) it is turning about 3000 rpm at 60-65 stock speedo mph. By no means is she screaming when going 70-75. Thats why I'm a bit baffled by these temps.
Rough estimate using 205/60/15s, 60 mph, and 3000 rpm = a ratio of 3.67:1. Definitely some error in that though.
Rough estimate using 205/60/15s, 60 mph, and 3000 rpm = a ratio of 3.67:1. Definitely some error in that though.
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
-
MASSIVE TYPE IV
- Posts: 20132
- Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:01 am
What I am about to write is only concerning the Royal Purple..
The 10/30 is very thin, be it hot or cold. The 20/50 R/P is about the same viscosity as a typical 10/30.
When I attempted to run the 10/30 R/P in my 912E I learned quickly that the clearances within the engine didn't like it as the pressure was very low and I also saw elevated temperatures.
Now, this is what I want to do...
Run the 20/50 and compare notes Vs the 10/30 and I'll tell you if the traits are the same. I only run 10/30 R/P in my 912E in very cold months, like December through January, but this year I didn't even change it, it's went 9 months on the current oil change.... I'm trying to kill it.
The 10/30 is very thin, be it hot or cold. The 20/50 R/P is about the same viscosity as a typical 10/30.
When I attempted to run the 10/30 R/P in my 912E I learned quickly that the clearances within the engine didn't like it as the pressure was very low and I also saw elevated temperatures.
Now, this is what I want to do...
Run the 20/50 and compare notes Vs the 10/30 and I'll tell you if the traits are the same. I only run 10/30 R/P in my 912E in very cold months, like December through January, but this year I didn't even change it, it's went 9 months on the current oil change.... I'm trying to kill it.