78mm stroke x 90.5mm bore engine combo

This forum is for any discussion related to Aircooled Technology, the DTM shroud and Massive TypeIV engines. You may read and search this forum, but you can not post to it.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

78mm stroke x 90.5mm bore engine combo

Post by Ephry73 »

Jake,

I spoke with you last week about building an engine for the Ghia, and I have come acrossed a cheap 78mm crank(type 1 journals) and some stroker rods(Ibeam), and was wondering about getting the rest of the parts I need to assamble a longblock with what I have. It may not rev as high as the newer 2liters, but I think this will be a good foundation for somethng bigger when I have more cash.

What cam do you recommend I get to suit the smaller valves of the Q heads? I am keeping the 39.3x33mm ones with very minor port work. I don't plan on revving it too much, but should be interesting to see what I can come up with.

I will still need to get from you cam, lifters, and such.....


Just curious.

E
Eddie Brown
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Eddie Brown »

E. You're crazy...LOL J/K!
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Me crazy? nah bra. Just a cheap bastid. :roll:

Hehehe

Hey Eddie, how's the 2600 coming along?


E
Eddie Brown
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Eddie Brown »

Ephry73 wrote:Me crazy? nah bra. Just a cheap bastid. :roll:

Hehehe

Hey Eddie, how's the 2600 coming along?


E
LOL! I bet the 90.5*78 would be fun!

I've finally begun to put TIME into it. I've been cutting to length my CM head studs. Then I'm going to finish mocking up the top end. I still have to lap the cast iron clunckers to get a better seal. Then I'll take it all apart again and take everything in for balancing. Still some road to travel...

I hope the bad weather (flooding) hasn't affected you out there. Here it's pretty muggy and hot bro.

Late,

E.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

I'm thinking it will be a good foundation for other things, once I get it setup. Right now money is very tight, but I have enough parts laying around, and things, that the 78x90.5 will be cheaper to make than a stock two liter, or to rebuild the stock type 1 engine. All I need to do now is sale the CFI to make extra cash for everything else, and I will be covered.

There is always the possibility of a 2258 or even a 2599 if and when money comes. For the time being, the 2006 will be a good snappy little motor for the Ghia.

Glad the floods didn't affect you much. I have heard nothing but crazy things with all the water we're having.




E
User avatar
slowtwitch
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:38 am

Post by slowtwitch »

Hey E,

That's the combo I'm putting together :D I just have to get rods and a balance job and I'm good to go.

pete
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Yeah, you ignited that spark with our last conversation. I think it will be great engine to start with, and then if I need to expand, go from there.


E
User avatar
bj
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:01 am

Post by bj »

E,

how are you going to deal with the pin height of the Pistons? 90.5b pistions have roughly the same pin height as a type 4 94mm stock piston correct?

there was a guy (billisgr8 i think)that put in 94b type 1 pistons on his stock type 4 2.0 bottom end and didn't have to shim the barrels too much for deck height.

i don't have the measurements on me right now, but i remember reading that there was a difference.

was this the crank that was on sale on thesamba too?

bj
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

The very same crank. Well, I will be building a 2258. For the money and parts I have and time, it makes sense. The rest is getting sold. I am now selling the CFI kit(again) to finish some things, and pay some bills. This will give me some peace of mind as well. With the difference I will get the 2258 engine built. Nothing fancy, but better than a stock 2 liter, and more torque than the 1.7 for sure. The Q heads I will send for boring and new guides, and just leave the valve sizes as they are until I can afford better heads.

The CR will be high, so I need to watch out for the deck height. Since I will be using type 1 rods and 96mm 22mm pinned pistons, I should not be too far off. Shimming is definitely required, but I will get to that path when I have the parts layed out and mocked.


E
User avatar
bj
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:01 am

Post by bj »

dumb question...what makes a 2258?

wish i had the money for that CBI kit of yours.... :cry:

good luck with the build.

bj
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

228cc=78mm stroke x 96mm bore
a 2270 emgine is 78.4mm strokex96mm bore.


E
Santas Brother
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by Santas Brother »

Eddie Brown
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Eddie Brown »

96*78=2258
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

What heads are you going to run with that engine Eddie?

E
Eddie Brown
Posts: 2134
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Eddie Brown »

Ephry73 wrote:What heads are you going to run with that engine Eddie?

E
The heads done by Len. On Jake's site its the 7456's. 44*40's.

Image

Image
Locked