Page 1 of 2
200 ft/lb! first run
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:05 pm
by lowemp
Jake I got your voicemail. I am in the middle of a teleconference and can't call back. I am impressed by that initial run. Keep me informed so I can enjoy the dyno time by proxy.
Michael
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:21 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Just made another run..
200 lb/ft@ 3000, 202@ 3,500
179HP @ 5,500
It has more left in it, its still a little rich...
I think I can get 210 on torque and probably 190 ponies..
Not bad for a 5,500 RPM engine designed to be coupled to an auto tranny for a daily driven squareback...
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:26 pm
by lowemp
Thanks for the report. I have never driven a vw with this kind of power. I have no idea what to expect when this hits the road.
I am monitoring the site.
keep me posted
Michael
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:31 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Tried to ring you..
Doing another run now.. I'm gonna video this one for ya and email it..
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:39 pm
by silverwad

I'm jealous....all that damn torque and I'm drivin around in a PT CRUISER (WOODIE) that cant get out of its own way!! BEST of LUCK Doc....
ALOHA, LEO
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:45 pm
by lowemp
I may have a torque converter to add to Jake's wall in the future.
thanks for the support Leo!
Michael
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:54 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Mike, you have mail... a couple of short videos of a dyno run..
I took the camera outside so you could hear what my neighbors put up with..
Leo, your 2615 should surpass this one by a good amount..
Your 3.2 will blow it out of the water!!
I'm sure Mike is going to be VERY happy with the rev range and power output and smoothness, after al it is an auto squareback!
The torque converter isn't going to be happy at all!
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:57 pm
by silverwad

Am sure Jakes got a bulletproof transax waiting for the day....throw in a QUAIFE....WOW!!! 200 hp squareback with LSD!!! You should get a discount on malpractice premiums since your drive time cut in half!!
JEALOUS but waitin my turn,
LEO
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:04 pm
by silverwad

HOLD ME BACK!!!!!!!!! 2615 in a 1500 lb. speedster!! Do you think i'll need FAA approval when I approach HONOLULU airport??? kickin back with a CORONA..1 p.m. afternoon, 81 and sunny !!
ALOHA, LEO
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:03 pm
by lowemp
I have 2 auto trannys wating for this engine. After I burn up those the square will get a 915 with a quaife.
As far as insurance goes, what I save on malpractice I will spend on disability.
Michael
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:15 pm
by silverwad

I know what you mean, I am endodontist...lost index finger dominant hand playing with motorcycle...permanent disability...policy UNUM..LIFETIME policy cost me 9000/year...collecting now with COLA and CPI adjustments....stock up on disability..MONTHLY electronic funds transfer....no complaints, 53, 2 kids, on beach HAWAII!!!!
ALOHA, LEO
The Results Are In!
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:12 pm
by lowemp
Jake sent me the dyno graph from my engine today.
Remember, I am using this in an automatic squareback and the goal was off the line power and the grunt to get up the mountains of the Arizona rim country. I live at 5000 feet and the elevation changes 2000' up to the north and down to the south within 15 miles each way. My daily drive to work is up a 6% grade for 2 miles which starts 1/4 mile from my front door. I have modified the brakes to match this engine with '86 944 turbo at all four corners.
Go to this site for the dyno graph and pics of the plenum
http://homepage.mac.com/mplowe/PhotoAlbum7.html
Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:21 pm
by silverwad

Good to know specs and needs surrounding build...makes sense Doc....good idea on brakes....beautiful flat torque curve...reinforces why you're smart enough to know who is going to do your build and why....twelve years of edu has given us the wisdom to know what we dont know and where to access the TYPE A manic genius to do the build. Respect for materials and harmony thereof enable that kind of power to run that SQUARE up EVEREST, stay cool doing it, with some leftover....Good health and HOLD ON TIGHT !!!!
ALOHA, LEO
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:59 am
by lowemp
Leo,
It appears that you and I have the same approach to the engine build. I read the arguments of the t1 vs t4 and it is apparent that most don't get it. It has very little to do with the overall numbers. I could have gotten more torque and spent less money with a turbo type1. But I can order that from the pages of hot vw's. What I wanted was a car that, when finished, was the only one of it's kind. No one I will ever run into in my daily drive will know what I have and thats fine. I didn't do this to show off. I am not going to cruise the strip. I live in a 15,000 person town where the VW owners are in their 70's. There is an adventure to working with Jake, creating something that is truly unique. I expect power and reliability, what I want is an end product that only I will understand.
Michael
Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:23 am
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Mike,
That was an awesome post!!
I can guarantee that no one will have an engine like this one on your daily drive!!
The engine exceeded my expectations in damn near every way..
BTW_ We started this project in 2003 and the engine has been built since mid 2004!! Mike wasn't in a hurry so I used a solid 18 months of EFI development under our belts to help get the results we attained..