Cooling tin

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
User avatar
ecdez
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:01 am

Cooling tin

Post by ecdez »

I'm finally putting my engine back together and can't remember if the Type 3's use the same bottom cooling tin like the type 1 (bottom row in picture below). I can convince myself either way, but would rather do it right. None of the manuals show the tin for the bottom, only the top; but the top tin has hole where it looks like bottom tin should mount.

Any input?

Image
User avatar
sideshow
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:00 am

Post by sideshow »

Just like a type-1, except it has an extra “rib” as the pancake is wider than upright.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
User avatar
Air_Cooled_Nut
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2001 1:01 am

Post by Air_Cooled_Nut »

Did you remember to install the cooling tin that is between & below the cylinders?
'72 VW Squareback w/Berg 5-speed and ragtop
'76 VW Riviera Bus
'95 VW Jetta, Peloquin'd, CHE tranny, nicely modded
'81 Honda Goldwing, naked
'06 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (monoposto)
User avatar
ecdez
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 1:01 am

Post by ecdez »

I found the diagram and the tin I had misplaced late Friday night. Thanks for the responses.
Air_Cooled_Nut wrote:Did you remember to install the cooling tin that is between & below the cylinders?
I never removed that tin. I was just changing my push rod tube seals. Thanks for the reminder though.
Post Reply