Can signal light work if replaced with LED ones?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
sagaboy
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:04 am

Can signal light work if replaced with LED ones?

Post by sagaboy »

Can the turn signal lights work if they are replaced with LED ones?
User avatar
Plastermaster
Posts: 2762
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Plastermaster »

If you ever find the belt has flipped or twisted it should be changed. Mine did once and it was toast within 10 miles even after correcting it.

Ron
DesertGolfGuy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Post by DesertGolfGuy »

I replace the tail lights on the 64 single cab and they work...except they cause the light on the dash not to work. The site I bought them from said that might happen but I don't remember the remedy.
nc68bugman
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:09 am

Post by nc68bugman »

Yes they do work. You need to put a resistor in each circuit. When I installed mine in brakelight, I wired the resistor inside the taillight housing. Plenty of room! You do need 1 for each side! The LED'S draw so little current that it won't allow Your flasher relay to work! Another option is they make replacement flasher relays to work specifically with leds! I changed all of mine and I love them! Make sure You get the bulbs with as many leds as can fit 'cause they aren't quite as bright as standard bulbs! I even added third brakelight in rear window, can't be to visible in bug! Scott
DesertGolfGuy
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Post by DesertGolfGuy »

Thanks! What size resistor and who sells the replacement flashers? I used bulbs with 30 led's in them.
nc68bugman
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:09 am

Post by nc68bugman »

http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html Check out this site. That's where I got My leds from, also the resistor kits! Real simple and the prices are great! I changed all turnsignal and brakelites plus resistors for about 75-80 bucks! Notice I said kits! Have to use 1 per side! The site recommends 1 for each light, turn signals that is, but I found if I wired the rear signals, that was enough for front and rear! I tried without and flasher relay wouldn't work! Put in 1 and worked fine! Also want to add, if You use resistors You can keep old relay, if You put in led compatable flasher relay, You don't need resistors! You use one or the other, not both! To Me, adding resistors was easier and cheaper! Scott
Post Reply