just bought a Ghia, and have no taillights or brakelights

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

just bought a Ghia, and have no taillights or brakelights

Post by Brewtech »

Well I had the oppurtunity of trading my recently purchased 914 for a 68 Ghia plus some cash and I took it. It looks good and needs some work but what's bugging me is that the rear lights aren't working. The headlights work, but the tails dont. I haven't inspected the car fully, so I'll check the bulbs first, but apart from that, where should i start? It's my first ghia and don't know whut's up yet. There is wiring btw. thanks
User avatar
John Kelly
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2001 12:01 am

Post by John Kelly »

Sometimes if you rotate the fuses in their holders magic happens. If this works you have some corrosion that should be cleaned up with a little sand paper.

There is an electrical forum here. Scroll down on the main page.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

Also make sure that the bulbs are ok and not burned. The ground wire for the assemblies needs to be fully grounded, and if there is any rust, or if the wire looks iffy, just sand and replace as needed. Also, make sure that the back up switch wire is plugged in(you will see it to the right of the engine as you face the engine bay. Sometimes when pulling the engine out or the stock filter it gets unplugged.



E
User avatar
execk2
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:10 pm

Post by execk2 »

I agree with the grounds.... get some sand paper and score the tail light housing.
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

Do the front parking lights work? They're powered from the same two fuses as the taiilights (the 7th and 8th ones counting over from the steering column end). The little brake system warning lamp that's supposed light up when you press it gets its power from a different source than the brakelights themselves, so that's of no use in troubleshooting. The first fuse powers both the brakelamps and t'signals on your car (or should unless someone's messed with the wiring) so if the signals work it's probably not a fuse problem.
There's a small harness leading down to the master cylinder for the brake light switches. The black wire supplies power to them, and the black wire w/red stripe connects into the main harness going back to the lamps (the little red one is for the warning lamp). Find the inline connector for the black/red wire and disconnect it, then pull the black wire off at the fusebox and make a temporary jumper to go from the fuse to the black/red wire in the main harness. This should make the brakelamps light any time the key is on - if not, the problem's at the rear (or the fuse) but if it does, the problem's down at the M/C. If the car still has the original `68 M/C it'll have three switches - two 2-prong hydraulic switches in parallel for the brakelamps and one 2-prong mechanical switch operated by a shuttle plunger in an outrigger passage between the front & rear circuits, for the warning lamp) but the replacement M/C only has ports for two switches - newer cars had two 3-prong switches cleverly wired so that if one operates and the other doesn't power feeds back to the warning lamp, allowing them to do away with the shuttle piston setup.
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/4brake.gif
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/3brake.gif
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Brewtech »

okay the brake lights do work. the front parking lights do work, but the blinkers don't. The drivers side front parking light just stopped working again, it wasn't working when i got the car but one day it simply worked again, now it has quit again. The rear lights still dont work.l I think i'll put some time to this issue since I just blew the motor I believe. The engine starts but there's a loud clank inside the case. I think a bearing or something is clanking inside. Oh well, time to upgrade to a 1600.
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

May be the relays, or the actual turn signal lever. Check that.


E
User avatar
doc
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Post by doc »

I hope this will get even more attention here in the electrical forum.

doc
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Thanks Doc for the move..
We'll get this figured out.
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Brewtech »

so I've been trying to get my tails to work but they dont. I got the brake lights to work and the front parking lights also work. I dont think there's any fancy custom wiring. What type of bulb should I have in the tail light socket? And is the brake supposed to be the middle or the top bulb. I did notice that my turn signals don't work either. I've cleaned the fuses under the dash and got all of my light s to except the tails. What else could I do before I decide to let an electrcian check it?
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

Download a diagram here:
http://www.type-14.com/
Click on
Technical/
Electrical


There is a separate fuse for left and right Rear tail lights.
See if the license plate lights work; that will be a clue.

Diagram shows placement and bulb size too.

Use a 12V tester/meter to check for voltage right at the bulb socket.

Replace the old fuses and polish the fuse holder ends to assure good contact.

See if you can sort out the tail lights and then post back with what still
doesn't work.
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Brewtech »

Thanks sir I will look into this today when I get home. Unfortunately my car did not have a Deck Lid when I bought it so the license plate light wont offer any clues. Thanks. I'll keep you posted.
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Brewtech »

Well Thank You. I got my tails to work with the help of those user friendly schematics. I found out that i had several grounding issues with the sockets.
Now I'm ready to tackle the turn signals. okay so I checked the bulbs to begin with and they are all new. The front ones are dual filament and the bulbs light up when the parking lights are on, but the other filament does not light up when I activate the Turn signal switch lever. One thing that does occur, is the turn signal indicator in the dash lights up solid. The rears don't light up at all since they are single filament and only acts as turn signals. So where do i start?
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

What condition is the rest of your wiring.. have folks been playing with it?
Brewtech
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Post by Brewtech »

MNAirHead wrote:What condition is the rest of your wiring.. have folks been playing with it?
looks very dusty in the trunk because it was desert car. but the wiring is a mess once it leaves the tighness of the harness. Some things do look corroded, like the fusebox, so I'll be replacing that very soon. But nothing fancy or custom looking if that's what you mean?
Post Reply