Need Lots of Help

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Need Lots of Help

Post by nukeworker »

I bought the Watson's Streetworks kit. My Baja is a 66 body on a 70 pan. I can't figure out two things and hope someone can help. Don't know how to connect the turn signal wires with the kit. If someone has used this kit, maybe you can help. The kit claims it has the relays with it. Their tech support isn't great. The next issue is the wiper motor. The 66 wiring diagram just shows wires running to the motor. it doesn't show to where. The motor has 4 tabs labeled: 53a, 31b, 53, and 53b. Then there's a screw with a tab that I believe to be the ground. Any and all help would be VERY appreciated. By the way, the turn sig has a gr/blk, blk/wh, br/wh, a br with a piggy backed br, and a blk/wh with gr rings piggy backed with a blue.
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

Turn Signals first:

That switch will work just fine.
It only uses 3 of the wires:
Blk/Wh/Grn (common)
Blk/Wh (Left signals)
Blk/Grn (Right signals)

The circuit connections to the flasher look like:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/flash3.gif
If you use a 3-terminal flasher instead, connect the dash light to 49a.

The Brw and the Brw/Wh wires are used for the headlight dimmer relay.




-------------------------------

Wipers:

That sounds like a non-'66 wiper. It must be a 12V 2-speed model.

The wiring (simplified) looks like:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/wiper2.gif
You must use the VW dash-mounted wiper switch for it to work
correctly and Park.

There is more miscellaneous wiring info on this page of my web site:
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/elec.htm

Feel free to e-mail me.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Welcome to STF NukeWorker..

Please check your PM for a note.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also bought one of those variable switches for a 6 volt motor in a 12 volt system. So I guess that can't be used if I actually have a 12 volt wiper system. Or do you think it would still work cuz it would be nice to have variable speed?
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Is your kit just a "Pot" (dial) with a resistor?
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

you only have to use the stock wiper switch if you want the park feature to work. im using a 2 pole toggle switch. up for high, down for low.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

No. It's that one from J.C. Whitney's with a transistor. I thought I had a 6 volt wiper system. Its supposed to enable you to use the 6 volt wipers in a 12 volt system. What is the park feature? Is that so you can stop them where ever they are? And why would you want to do that? Sorry, it's my first ACVW. Also, that two pole toggle sounds good.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Park returns the wipers to the resting spot.. not turning it off mid-wipe.
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Here is my wiper switch. Don't know what year it is. Has different numbers than the wiring diagram you show. There's a 54d, 54, and a 31b. Also it pulls out one click and turns in either direction. Can some please explain the operation? How does the washer work? Image
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

That's a single speed switch. Like a '66.
(You could use it with a 2-spd wiper motor, running only one speed.)

Besides the terminals you can see, there is a "hidden" term #31,
which is grounded thru the shaft mount.

You can winkle it out from:
http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/bug-65+66.jpg

Note that the switch term #'s don't match those on a 2-spd motor;
you'll have to transpose some numbers if you use it.

This simplified diagram is on my web site;

Image
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

if you want i can take some pics of how i have mine wired to a toggle.
User avatar
Speedy Jim
Posts: 2290
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:01 am

Post by Speedy Jim »

I had done this for someone else a year ago so I had a drawing.

This is the 12V 2-spd motor with a Toggle switch (center Off type).
There is no Park feature with this.
(The switch "E" is only shown because it was part of
the original diagram.)

As 72bajaben notes, it's fairly simple to do.

Image
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

Wow. Thanks guys. I think I will go with a toogle. It's an on/off road Baja so it doesn't have to be OEM.

Image
Last edited by nukeworker on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
72bajaben
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Post by 72bajaben »

do you have the stock wires still coming off of your wiper motor?
User avatar
nukeworker
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Post by nukeworker »

No. I pulled the old wiring before I started. It was a rat's nest with all kinds of splices and unknown mods. Pretty much useless. I made the mistake of believing that the kit I bought would explain things a little better.
Post Reply