Page 1 of 1

Wiring Up Warning Lights - Cross Post

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:36 am
by MNAirHead
The Wild Kids wrote:Got another question on wiring this thing up. I am looking at getting the wire tomorrow if I can steal away from the house and being watched. lol I am using the diagram from the other post of the starter switch schematic. http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=106056 5th on down on this posting. My question is, how to hook up the idiot lights? I mean I have a wire from each the oil sender, Alt (D+) and + coil going to the IGN switch. What I am going to use is a Toggle for main power then a push button or toggle for starter. Can I hook all these wires together at the motor and then run one wire to the ign switch? Say a 14 ga wire from each into a 10 ga wire to the switch? Just trying to map everything out right now to see what all I need to go buy. Want this to be neat with out a million wires coming out of the box if I don't have to. Thanks

The Wild Kids

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:38 am
by MNAirHead

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:24 pm
by The Wild Kids
Thanks you beat me to posting the question. Hope someone and you will give me insight on what I can do when I start this re wire project.

The Wild Kids

Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:30 pm
by The Wild Kids
PM sent also MNAirhead. Thanks

The Wild kids

Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:55 pm
by The Wild Kids
OK So here;s what I have come to decide on. I am going to run a wire from each oil sender, D+ alt to the idiot lights in the dash. Then there will be a wire from the Bat to the power toggle switch to supply power to everything. From Power toggle to IGN toggle momentary switch. From each of the lights will be a jumper wire that will bring power from IGN toggle to the oil and Alt idiot lights. Also there will be another power jumper to the headlight switch for power. From the Light toggle to the lights themselves that will have a "T" in it for power to the tail lights and the other going to the head lights. Then there will be the coil wire from the (+) of the coil to the IGN toggle.
The only ground wire I will have is for the Head/tail lights, brake lights. There will be a power wire for the brakes coming from the main Power toggle. This way only when this switch is (ON) will the brake lights work and anything else for that matter.
I wish I knew of a way that I could draw this out in schematic form for you to be able to visualize what I am trying to describe.

Keep an eye open as I am going to start a thread on how I am wiring up the buggy. That will be very soon as I start to get this thing back on the trails.

The Wild Kids

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:05 am
by MNAirHead
The only ground wire I will have is for the Head/tail lights, brake lights. There will be a power wire for the brakes coming from the main Power toggle. This way only when this switch is (ON) will the brake lights work and anything else for that matter.
I wish I knew of a way that I could draw this out in schematic form for you to be able to visualize what I am trying to describe.
Desert Guy has agreed to draw up schematics...

Question.. if it's a rail isn't the entire car ground?

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:18 am
by The Wild Kids
Question.. if it's a rail isn't the entire car ground?
Yes but the wire's from the lights I have connected to the frame. The don't ground through the body of the light.
Also I connect the ground from the CB to this also.

Thanks Desert Guy, I will try to be clear as possible and as understandable as I can.


The Wild Kids

Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 am
by MNAirHead
Wild Kids..

We're all learning from you.. once the description is cleared up, I can contact desert guy to do a drawing....

Great thing is that we have friends here who will help us improve the design and/or prevent probable mistakes.

Tim

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:34 am
by The Wild Kids
Hope that I can help and teach someone from my mistakes on this wiring. Taking it back to the car wash in the morning and cleaning it up more thoroughly. Going to lay it all out and get started on it with pictures and write up coming soon.

The Wild Kids

Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:13 am
by MNAirHead
Great..

I can host/post pix..

Once the plan is more clear, I'll request desert guy (or me) to draw a pix.

tim

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:53 pm
by The Wild Kids
Shoot me your email addy to [email protected]
I have a picture file to send you of the harness that is started. I will try to do the write up tomorrow with the picture numbers also. Hope that will help out on this. Thanks

The Wild Kids

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:53 am
by MNAirHead
PM Sent...

The offer to easy host/post pix is open to everyone here.. one of the small bonses of owning a server.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:05 pm
by The Wild Kids
PM as well as email is on its way to you. If you want I can start another thread to post it all in.
Thanks
The Wild Kids

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:24 pm
by DesertGuy
The Wild Kids wrote: OK So here;s what I have come to decide on. I am going to run a wire from each oil sender, D+ alt to the idiot lights in the dash. Then there will be a wire from the Bat to the power toggle switch to supply power to everything. From Power toggle to IGN toggle momentary switch. From each of the lights will be a jumper wire that will bring power from IGN toggle to the oil and Alt idiot lights. Also there will be another power jumper to the headlight switch for power. From the Light toggle to the lights themselves that will have a "T" in it for power to the tail lights and the other going to the head lights. Then there will be the coil wire from the (+) of the coil to the IGN toggle.
The only ground wire I will have is for the Head/tail lights, brake lights. There will be a power wire for the brakes coming from the main Power toggle. This way only when this switch is (ON) will the brake lights work and anything else for that matter.
I wish I knew of a way that I could draw this out in schematic form for you to be able to visualize what I am trying to describe.

The Wild Kids
Image