Welding Forum Input Needed

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Welding Forum Input Needed

Post by david58 »

Last edited by david58 on Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
thrown_hammer
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:53 am

Post by thrown_hammer »

Done.
allsierra123
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Post by allsierra123 »

glad to see some interest in this.
User avatar
RyanB
Posts: 1466
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:01 am

Post by RyanB »

Cool idea
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My current build thread:
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 8&t=139952

R.I.P. Alfred Munson I miss you. http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9927
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Will you guys post in it or is it just a good idea?

I believe the apprehension would be that there are T1 Engine questions posted here.. Tranny questions are not being filed under tranny.. paint/bodywork is not going to paint/bodywork.

It's getting much better.. I'm guessing Doc is may want organization before expansion.

Tim
terry cloyd
Posts: 539
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:41 pm

Post by terry cloyd »

David most people who have problems in welding is that they don't practice welding.

Buy a 1/2" X 12" X 12" plate iron and weld the whole plate with 12" welds. Try to maintain a constant width and height in your weld. When you learn to flat weld then stand the plate up. Try to keep the size of your molten pool the same. Not to hard if you practice.
User avatar
A_67vdub
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 1:01 am

Post by A_67vdub »

And they also don't clean the metal good enough. I know when I first got my flux core I didn't realize how important it is for the parts to be welded to be ultra clean. Use a grinder or wire wheel followed by acetone to make the surface absolutely contaminant free. Your welds will automatically improve.


Steve
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

suggestion..

Allsierra.. open a Welding 101 thread on tools.. we'll see the interest..

I like the idea.. just need to ensure it's done right..

Doc is probably watching these threads.. (he's like freakin santa .. nothing gets by him).. I'm still wating for the bag of toys
allsierra123
Posts: 849
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:32 pm

Post by allsierra123 »

where should I open this 101 thread at?
winifredevw
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:08 pm

Post by winifredevw »

I like the idea of adding welding and fabrication to the shop tricks forum. I know our topics may stray outside their intended forums, but this might give welding and fabrication a "home base".
___________________________

Wheatley science.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

allsierra123 wrote:where should I open this 101 thread at?
Shop Tricks
turkeyhawk
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Learn welding.......

Post by turkeyhawk »

I am lucky enuff to weld 10 hours a day,4 days a week on a production line.I do have a welder at home also.I would recommend to anyone Richard Finchs books on welding.Read the mig part a few times before turning welder on.Practice now on tubing at different angles,look to inside tubing at weld backsides.Watch for crusty molten band=penetration.If you are not burning into metal and laying pretty beads,well... welds are useless.Might as well use torch and coat hanger :lol:.All the things I weld rotate in a jig to comfortable position.I find it very difficult to weld on a buggy with tubing and different angles.I even practice on scrap to lay down that great bead and check welder settings and get hand speed right.To just throw a welder up to metal and pull the trigger is not all it.To hot of weld will crack and distort metal.To cold and weld will not penetrate and pull apart. I have a brand new 300.00$$ beam in the floor that is worthless due to me adding a little bracing too :( I couldnt believe the thing warped as much as it did.Wire size,amp settings,wire speed,hand speed and hand patterns all play important roles in quality of welds.I have yet to see the perfect weld after making nearly a million or two.But I keep trying.....
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

Please post in the thread below we need a welding forum. That way Doc will see your interests and open a welding forum.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Several years ago, there was a company in Missouri (I think) that offered a halogen light that attached to your MIG welding gun. Anybody know anything about it and if it is still available?

I've also cross posted this on the Tools/Tricks/etc. forum.

Lee
Lee

My opinion is worth slightly less than what you paid for it.
Post Reply