Page 1 of 1

harness help

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:01 am
by JimA
I've got the front (to the fuse box) and the rear (to the motor) of the main harness completed. I'm stuck on the middle where everything comes out near the regulator. In looking at the I have 2 big red wires coming from the front (fuses) and one coming from the rear (motor). I know 1 of those wires go to the regulator, 1 to the + battery terminal and 1 to the starter. So how do I tell which one goes where? My instructions aren't that clear.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:33 am
by Speedy Jim
I have to assume that you have a Generator/Regulator setup.

One of the Reds from the front goes from Fuse box to the battery,
by way of the regulator B+ terminal.
The other Red is from the Ignition switch (Term #50) and goes to the
Starter solenoid push-on terminal. The original harness had a plastic
splice under the rear seat (shown as T-1)) here. I don't know if your
harness has that splice or not.

You have to find some way to identify which Red is which. One way is to use
an Ohmmeter to find continuity from one end of the harness to the other.

This drawing shows how the original harness connections were laid out:

Image

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:39 am
by JimA
Actually I am changing it over to an alternator, using your very clear instructions. Thank you for them!!! I didn't want to confuse the matter by adding that info. I just need to identify the three wires. Your instructions on this post will help. Thanks again!

I don't want to blow anything up. This is a ground up resto that I've been doing myself for 3 years and it would kill me if the car burnt up...

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:56 am
by JimA
I've identified the 2 red wires from the front where the fuse panel is. Both come out by the regulator. on goes forward to the ignition switch. The other goes forward to the headlight switch. The diagram only shows one red wire... Do they both go to the regulator, or in my case the battery?

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:28 am
by Speedy Jim
Top left corner of my diagram shows (2) Red wires.

The one with the T-1 splice goes to Ignition switch.

The other one goes to Battery (+) in your case, since you are using
an alternator and you won't have the Regulator shown.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:10 pm
by MNAirHead
Thanks for the info speedy..

Jim A.. if you have a few minutes.. Speedy's site does have some fantastic electrical information.