Page 1 of 1

When to Fuse.. When Not to Fuse

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:10 pm
by MNAirHead
I was reading this thread by Bob2088

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... highlight=

I'm certain that I way over complicate things and over engineer them.

The note is that there is 5-6 fuses max needed.

I fuse the daylights out of the custom stuff.... probably too much

When to fuse.. when not to?

T.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:58 pm
by MNAirHead
2088 bob wrote:every branch circuit should be fused

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 pm
by MNAirHead
Bob..

Branch meaning every major function.. small lights.. big lights.. audio.. basic engine etc?

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:01 pm
by takotruckin
branch meaning anything that has power running through it.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:16 pm
by MNAirHead
understood..

I'm trying to simplify the answer slightly.. I fuse everything .. probably way too much..

Kind of asking for clarity for some of our lurking pals who may not post a follow up.

T.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:29 pm
by rickosuave1987
takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:26 pm
by takotruckin
rickosuave1987 wrote:
takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.
oh yeah, forgot about those two..

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:44 pm
by fortyeye
One thing I've seen on all too many wiring plans is the overuse of circuit breakers. Circuit breakers are excellent for lights and guages and in some cases for long high amp runs (front mounted batteries and such). Any circuit that has an electronic device on the end should not be protected with just a circuit breaker. Use fast blow fuses on any circuit that has electronics. Circuit breakers (especially auto-reset type) are too slow and will allow currents through, before they trip, that will damage electronics. Auto-reset will do it more than once.

Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:54 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
I run (auto) resetable C/Bs but also run fuses to my electronics. C/Bs are usually slow burn units and electronics can be damaged before they blow. Also, the C/Bs can reset t hemselves before you are ready and continue to do damage.

To be fair though, C/B's have got me back to camp where fuses would not have. You have to be careful when designing your wiring.

Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:58 am
by MNAirHead
rickosuave1987 wrote:
takotruckin wrote:branch meaning anything that has power running through it.
Well not everything.

I believe pretty much everything besides power to the starter and from the alt/gen. So all lights for sure, all stereo equipment, all power to gauges, etc.


One of the biggest electrical flaws in VW land is the choke wire.. anyone with a webber progressive and a fan shroud knows the issue.