High Beam Switch Question

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

High Beam Switch Question

Post by CopperBaja »

Can I run a step type High Beam switch AND a relay?

I was wiring it up per the diagram, then looked at another diagram and they have what it looks like to be an option to do one or the other.

Since I've already terminated the ends to the relay, is it possible to use the relay in conjunction with a step switch?
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

If you wired the relay and the floor-switch in parallel you'd end up with both high and low beams on anytime you didn't use the same one twice in a row. What you could do is use a momentary-contact switch (think horn button) on the floor, in parallel with the one in the t'signal switch, so that either one would trigger the relay
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

I don't have one in the turn signal switch.

I'm using a 2 position switch (SPDT) for the turn signals.

So, I'm guessing that a momentary switch would work since that is what is usually in the turn signal switch, right?

Do they make a foot switch like that? Guess I'll look around.
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

CopperBaja wrote:I

Do they make a foot switch like that? Guess I'll look around.
Crazy idea.. sythesizers use a footswich like this for sustain.. you could upgrade the internal switch (if it's too small).
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

You could probably gut a standard foot-operated dimmer switch (remove the teeter-totter mecahnism) and rig a microswitch inside.
I installed a VW hi/lo relay in a motorhome I once had and simply used a small generic horn button to trigger it:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:5-l ... ton4lg.jpg
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

the vw flip /flop high/ low beam relay only needs a pulse signal and not a maintained signal but you guys already knew that
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Add on question.

When we're turning on high beams.. are we really ignitighting BOTH tungsten elements in the bulb
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Marc »

No. On some cars that do the beam-switching right at the column-mounted switch it is possible to hold the lever and get power to both high and low beams simultaneously, but by their design the floor-mounted dimmer switch and the hi/lo relay are both incapable of powering more than one circuit at a time.
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

i have a late model f150 ford pickup when running low beams and pulling up on my high beam flash lever i momentarily get both elements together but many years ago i was dicking around with an old chev pickup i had i rewired the head lights so that i could keep high a low elements on together at same time ....result a slightly elevated light output but the bulbs would only last a very short time those sealed beams were not designed to contend with the heat output of the two elements working together for extended periods of time
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

That makes street ghetto sense..

Thanks bob.
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Marc wrote:You could probably gut a standard foot-operated dimmer switch (remove the teeter-totter mecahnism) and rig a microswitch inside.
I installed a VW hi/lo relay in a motorhome I once had and simply used a small generic horn button to trigger it:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:5-l ... ton4lg.jpg
Thanks Marc! I think I'm going to run with that idea...I saw one like that at Autozone. :)
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

CopperBaja wrote:1998 Triumph Speed Triple T509 (Wrecked 5/12/07 OUCH!)
Hey what happened??
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
CopperBaja
Posts: 5329
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:04 pm

Post by CopperBaja »

Wrecked up in Ramona....Just back to work yesterday.
A bit of road rash and a bruised tailbone....mostly bruised ego. :oops:
96 Pathfinder 4x4 - Family Offroader - 6" "Lift" (2" coil lift + 4" Sub-Frame Drop)
Post Reply