no cig lighter ,now what?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
65NSunnyAZ
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:40 am

no cig lighter ,now what?

Post by 65NSunnyAZ »

My 65 vw beetle is doing great. I just installed a system and have just one question. Of course there is no cigrette lighter, and I just bought a bright neon light for the box. My question is how do I make it work.?The stupid thing only came with a cigrette lighter adapter. There is only two wires. This has got to be an easy question for my vw forum people. :D . Please help I'm stuck.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

If one wire has a strip or tracer on it then that one is positive the solid one is negitive.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

It doesnt make a difference which side is hooked up to what. Since cars are DC (direct current) the leads can be hooked up either way.

Depending on how you want it to work, hook one side to a hot with a switch in line and the other side to a good chassis ground.
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

rickosuave1987 wrote:It doesnt make a difference which side is hooked up to what. Since cars are DC (direct current) the leads can be hooked up either way.

Depending on how you want it to work, hook one side to a hot with a switch in line and the other side to a good chassis ground.
Most cig lighters are metal and go into metal so it does matter, because it will be a direct short if the body of the lighter is hooked to the pos side.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
rickosuave1987
Posts: 4640
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:15 pm

Post by rickosuave1987 »

Yes. you are right. But he doesnt want to wire a cig lighter. He wants to wire a neon light....
Baja
HookIt

GK Electric & Suave Racing - Looking for sponsors!!
SuaveRacing FaceBook
Thank you to SuaveRacing Sponsors for your support!
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Post by david58 »

rickosuave1987 wrote:Yes. you are right. But he doesnt want to wire a cig lighter. He wants to wire a neon light....
Yeah I re-read the thread.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Are there any clues with the Neon? Like Red/Black.. etc?

Is your car on 12v?
65NSunnyAZ
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:40 am

Post by 65NSunnyAZ »

1st of all, thank you for responding. I really listen to the posts and enjoy using this forum. My 65 bug is currently on a 12 volt system. I have converted everything even the electrical on the 6 volt tranny I still run. The neon light is a bright deep blue color, the one thats 10x brighter. I'll show a pic as soon as I get it working. :wink: Accually I am pretty exicited to hook this neon light up allreadly.
Post Reply