Page 1 of 1

STF Needs Your Help

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:39 am
by doc
Well, I hate to admit it, but we just can't seem to reach the end of our technical problems with the site. Perhaps it is time to air a little dirty laundry and ask for assistance.

Since I have owned STF the site has never been technically sound. It was messed up when i got it and, one way or another, has been messed up ever since. I regret that I have burdened the members so long with this problem. Frankly, there is just a limit to how many dollars and hours I am able to spend. I have done what I can to keep the site on the air and running. IMHO, we remain a viable "aircooled" destination because of our excellent membership. The site itself has been a drawback.

A while back AdminSteve stepped up, as a few others have done in the past, and his efforts alone have kept this site on the air. This message is meant to applaud Steve for his efforts (completely free!! :shock: ) and thank him for his many, many hours of work, which he contributes here after he puts in the regular 8 hours at the real job! Steve is admittedly about at the end of his string with the current situation and needs some relief.

So, here's my request. I need to find somebody who can help me establish the site from a technical perspective. The most qualified person will probably be running another board similar to STF. They need to be proficient with the following software:

Windows Server 2003
php
phpbb
MySQL


"Kinda knowing" something about the software puts you in the spot we are in today. We need to find somebody who "knows" how to do this. I am willing to discuss this with most anyone. There aren't any parameters. I just want the site to work for everybody the way it is supposed to. If we have to pay for help, I am willing to face that issue.

If you have suggestions or candidates, please contact me at [email protected]. Your help will be appreciated by thousands of enthusiasts and , especially, by me.

Thanks,

doc

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:28 am
by Bugfuel
I've got one hook in the water, we'll see if anyone bites... admins from another forum.


Jan

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:12 am
by doc
Thanks.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:47 pm
by MNAirHead
Do you mind if we link an off-topic to other Non-VW forums?

I'm active on a Victorian Home board that may have some clues.

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 pm
by doc
We just beed the help. If a few real alternatives could be developed, we sure would be in a better position to decide how to proceed. So, at this point, let's air our (my) laundry to the world. I just want the board to work right and be more manageable than it is now.

So ALL HELP APPRECIATED!!

doc

Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:30 pm
by doc
Here's an update. STF has some friends! :D I have been contacted by several people who volunteered to help. We are working with one of those volunteers and, I believe, are making progress both with the current site AND with the next version of STF. You should be experienceing a better STF now. The speed has just been great for me the last few days. Others have made similar comments. Search seems to be working pretty well. I think the avatar problem is straightened out. Soon, I hope you will all get to experience THE NEW VERSION OF STF!! :shock:

Let me say thanks to all who read this request and even thought how they might help. A particular thanks to those who actually volunteered their time and energy. And, again, hats off to AdminSteve who continues to reside in the background fixing problems and responding to every request.

STF has some friends. Makes me proud. Should make you proud to. Thanks all. I will continue to post results.

doc

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:50 pm
by MNAirHead
I just entered an agreement for work for a php programmer - please let me know if you want any questions funneled to him.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:37 pm
by sparkmaster1
Don't let me touch th e important stuff!!! That's my advice.... :lol: :lol: Tim

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:16 am
by SiQDiZ
:lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:30 am
by MNAirHead
SiQ

Would you consider a short/simple contract to verify our programming when it's done

$$$ (USD - not Euros) or Parts.

Timmy

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:23 am
by SiQDiZ
MNAirHead wrote:SiQ

Would you consider a short/simple contract to verify our programming when it's done

$$$ (USD - not Euros) or Parts.

Timmy
mail me.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:53 pm
by thedishking
So, if you are running server '03 I presume you are hosting this yourself?
Travis

Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:50 am
by SiQDiZ
Nope.