Page 1 of 1
Cool-Tool Score!!
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:37 pm
by aircooledtechguy
I finally got around to getting one of the old Snap-On valve adjusting tools (#V-21A) If you do a lot of valves, this is a must have tool.

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:19 pm
by doc
Interesting. Never seen one before.
doc
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:52 pm
by Leatherneck
Showoff!
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:56 pm
by Bugfuel
Something modern along the same lines.
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1049
I'd rather use the snap on I think.
Here's something similar, a Gunson's valve adjuster that makes audible clicks to help you know how much you turned the handle:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/tools/ts080.htm
Does the snap On make sound too? Can't tell from the picture.
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:22 am
by aircooledtechguy
Smiles don't make sounds, so I'd have to say No on the sounds from the tool.

I considered getting one of the modern ones, but they are pretty tall (or wide depending on how you look at it) and the Snap-On tool is pretty low profile and can easily fit into tight areas when using custom headers. I'm waiting for my first 914 valve adjustment to see how it helps there since those are a royal PITA. Now if there was just a better way to turn the engine on a 914. . .

Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:17 am
by MNAirHead
Now that's very cool..
does it have a torque wrench attahcment so the valves don't get over torqued?
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:34 am
by Steve C
Hi
I have the same thing made by Hazet, for both Type & Type 4.
Steve

Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:14 am
by slowtwitch
I have the CB version and I don't like it. As Nate mentioned, it is to long. The Snap-on or the short Hazet, look to be the better option.
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:13 pm
by Steve C
Hi
My Hazet tool for the type 1 is also useful for removing and installing the valve cover clips. I found that a 1/4 turn of the rocker screw with stock type 1 rockers was 6 thou, so I marked the end of my tool with hacksaw cut.
I worked in a VW shop many years ago and we would do many services at once on air cooled cars.
A trick that I was shown was to set the valves without standing up and down to turn the motor over.
We would 1st remove all the plugs and let the E brake off, put the trans in 4th gear.
If working on hoist I would adjust one rear brake so that it would lock on, its a good time to adjust brakes, then turn the other wheel to get the correct valves rocking, then release the brake and do the same on the other side.
If working on the floor you can do the same thing, but I was always able to hold the opposing wheel with my foot and turn the other wheel with my hand.
Steve