Hi guys,
What would be the advisable product to repaint my engine tin and shroud. I would like to have an OEM looking result, and also easily cleanable and heat resistant. I will make all tin rust-free to start with.
Thanks,
Oscar
painting engine tin
-
AirJose
- Posts: 136
- Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2001 12:01 am
These recommendations are excellent, but If you are looking for cheaper good results. I have good luck with the popular rattle can engine paint. Preparation is always the key to good results. Bare metal, automotive primer and then paint. all available at your local auto parts store(sounds like an advertisement...) But then you can not put high pressure water hose to clean it as some have extra high pressure. Good Luck, Jose
-
bugsterkafer
- Posts: 784
- Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:30 am
I did mine few years ago and it did not rust or anything..yea I scratched it in some areas but that's me
I stripped them to bare metal, then applied reduced (15%) epoxy primer. I followed with my base coat and clear coat within an hour, this way the time window was okay without sanding the epoxy (depends on paint brands/specs) which I used as a sealer.
Hope this helps
cheers
Leo
I stripped them to bare metal, then applied reduced (15%) epoxy primer. I followed with my base coat and clear coat within an hour, this way the time window was okay without sanding the epoxy (depends on paint brands/specs) which I used as a sealer.
Hope this helps
cheers
Leo
- Lew
- Posts: 529
- Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 am
Duplicolor Engine Enamel Low Gloss looks good if it's stripped and primed properly. I recently did mine...... 
It's still in the Restoration Booth!
You can take a peek!
VW Help
VW Technial
Track Gas Mileage
The Class I Teach
You can take a peek!
VW Help
VW Technial
Track Gas Mileage
The Class I Teach
-
red_rock_beetle
- Posts: 18
- Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm
Re: painting engine tin
rattle can duplicolor i think, prep is key, i think it looks good, no blemishes, high temp engine enamel
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 7b28ec.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/ ... 7b28ec.jpg
- volksbugly
- Posts: 634
- Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:09 am
Re: painting engine tin
I painted mine and they turned out well.
I cleaned them off best I could, then sanded and primed,
then primed and sanded,
then primed and sanded
then pained it with
http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_ ... ed_finish/
Black.
I like it, but I think if I did it again I would use the silver for better contrast
I cleaned them off best I could, then sanded and primed,
then primed and sanded,
then primed and sanded
then pained it with
http://www.krylon.com/products/outdoor_ ... ed_finish/
Black.
I like it, but I think if I did it again I would use the silver for better contrast
- SCOTTRODS
- Posts: 633
- Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am
Re: painting engine tin
An Old Thread revived.....
I don't guess I need to tell you I powder coat mine (and others if they want to pay me to do it). I can match the factory paint pretty close and do wild colors as well. I guess I should get me some Spares for samples and offer up an exchange program or something..... That way I could sell solid German Tins, with Solid Powder Coating on them for a decent cost.... I might have to work on this as a side item.....
I don't guess I need to tell you I powder coat mine (and others if they want to pay me to do it). I can match the factory paint pretty close and do wild colors as well. I guess I should get me some Spares for samples and offer up an exchange program or something..... That way I could sell solid German Tins, with Solid Powder Coating on them for a decent cost.... I might have to work on this as a side item.....
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297