Page 1 of 2

Best way to lift rear end?

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:47 pm
by UJSLOST
I was thinkin maybe some air shocks but your the pros so let me know.

Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 pm
by perrib
It is a cheap way. The free way is to remove the rear torsion and turn the counterclock wise to increase travel. Get the "Building Baja's and Buggies" book by Jeff Hibbirt. Lots of good information. As far as tires 70o 15s and 235 70 15s fit with no problem. I have seen 33x9.50s on stock rims.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:27 am
by baja5
It's only counter clock wise on the pass sided it i'm not mistaken.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:28 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 4&start=15

Assuming you are talking about the shocks similar to the units that Gabriel makes then look at my post of last night above. If you are talking about the ones Fox and other s make, Ignore this whole post. This is a; ‘for what it is worth’ post.

The Gabriel style does have its place but remember, they are more for lift than for shocking. They can be mounted with either a single fill or two fills with Schrader valves. With the single fill, both shocks are fed from the same line bia a Tee and if that line fails, anywhere for any reason, both shock deflate to about 7#’s. With two fills, and one line deflates then the shock will drop to 7#’s and the other will remain full.

With one fill (and this is more for trucks) and you are carrying a load, if you go around a corner the load change can cause the shock on the heavy side to send the air to shock to the light side (air balance) therefore accentuating the over balance of the load.

With two lines you can preload suspensions if you need to,

I am sure there are other things I have forgotten but you can put too much air in the system by accident (see the URL above for my bad experience with them). I have used them off and on for years and knew about the good and the bad, but still goofed with them.

I hope this helps. By-the-way, presetting the preload is not hard and there are several posts here on how to do it. Spring plate notching is also covered on the Hibbard book.

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:31 am
by perrib
baja5 wrote:It's only counter clock wise on the pass sided it i'm not mistaken.
OOPS, :oops: no wonder I had to go all the way around on the drivers side!!

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:04 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
Image

This works for the opposite direction too

Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 am
by CopperBaja
Since I see a future sticky....

What are the recommended upgrade for the torsions once they start to sag?

I read 28mm Sway Away somewhere. :?

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm
by mudman
I was thinking with a jack... Hmm :P
Sorry, I do not get on here much anymore just had to say it.
The chart that ol'fogasaurus posted is great info.
In tho OLD DAY'S I had the bugpack coilover shock's with a swingaxel, now I am running tripple bilstien with 28mm bars 3" over stock.

Mike

Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:35 pm
by perrib
CopperBaja wrote:Since I see a future sticky....

What are the recommended upgrade for the torsions once they start to sag?

I read 28mm Sway Away somewhere. :?
It depends on the ride your looking for 26mm will give you a softer slow speed ride. I used 30 mm which is better for high speed runs. Just like Goldi Locks and The Three Bears the 28" are just right for most people.
While not cheap, you can't go wrong with a Sway Away center torsion bar adjuster to fine tune them. It is easy to stiffen them up a bit if needed.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:35 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
I finally found the setting preload string that I was involved with. There are several others out there too.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... ng+preload

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:40 am
by CopperBaja
http://www.swayaway.com/OffRoadRacing_5.php

$800/set? :shock:

Am I looking at the wrong bars??? :?

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am
by perrib
Scroll down one more page to the non racing bars.

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:52 pm
by CopperBaja
perrib wrote:Scroll down one more page to the non racing bars.
Thanks perrib!

How do you choose the length? Model year?

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:38 pm
by perrib
IRS pan with IRS spring plate 26 9/16".

Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:07 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
FYI;

model year vs. application

Size, Description, Applications
21 ¾ long, Short Torsion Bar, 60-68 Type I Swing Axle
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 49-59 Type I Swing Axle
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 69-72 Type III IRS
24 11/16 long, Intermediate Torsion Bar, 65-67 Type III Swing Axe
26 9/16, Long Torsion Bar, 73-L Type I IRS

Note: Measure tube extension past spring plate intermediate 4”, long 6”

Chart from Bugpack Product catalog.