Page 1 of 1

VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:32 am
by david58

VDO Tachometer w Condensor

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:37 pm
by Jeff Herriman
I have a VDO Tachometer that has a condensor attached to the tac body. Where do I hook up the Condensor wire? The car is a Puma with a fiberglass body. The electrics are in disarray. There are VW Brazillia parts installed but not hooked up.

Thanks for the help!

VDO Tachometer/Instruments

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:27 pm
by Jeff Herriman
Thank you for the wiring guide. It really helps. Next will look for proper senders.

Jeff

Re: VDO Tachometer w Condensor

Posted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:53 pm
by david58
Jeff Herriman wrote:I have a VDO Tachometer that has a condensor attached to the tac body. Where do I hook up the Condensor wire? The car is a Puma with a fiberglass body. The electrics are in disarray. There are VW Brazillia parts installed but not hooked up.

Thanks for the help!
I haven't seen the condenser on the VDO gauges that you are talking about. Could you post a pic so we can weed this out?

VDO Tachometer

Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 am
by Jeff Herriman
The tachometer is in the shop now. When I get it back (week +!!) I will forward picture. Its an interesting animal.
Jeff

Puma VDO Tachometer with condensor

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:01 am
by Jeff Herriman

Re: Puma VDO Tachometer with condensor

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:10 am
by david58
Your links don't work is this the correct pics?
Image
Image

Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:14 am
by Dale M.
Capacitor on back of unit really looks like something somebody has added on afterward for what ever reason.....

Dale

Re: VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:41 am
by madmike
Link no workie

Re: VDO Gauge Wiring Link

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:59 am
by Marc
The only logical reason for a condenser (AKA capacitor) that's grounded on one end would be as a "noise" filter.
It's unlikely that the vehicle needs filtering of the supply voltage to the gauge or to the illumination lamp, so someone must have added it at the signal lead to dampen voltage oscillations (perhaps the needle was jumping about too much for their liking). Ironically this places it in parallel with the condenser back on the distributor, increasing the capacitance of the primary circuit.
My conclusion is that if you need it at all, it should be attached to the same terminal as the signal lead coming from Term 1 on the coil.