Page 1 of 3

October Off-Roader of the month

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:20 am
by Leatherneck
First off guys want to apologies for being late, we had a couple hiccups in our system but better late than never. When I opened Shoptalk up this morning and saw Lotrat’s post October Off-Roader of the Month is... I was thinking jeezzz the guy did his own and saved me a lot of time but no, he was as he has always done ragging on people to get busy. And yes if you have not guessed it by now I would like to introduce October’s Off-Roader of the month and that deserving person is LOTRAT.

I have told a couple of people and some of us have even talked about this guy around the campfire but when he first came on STF I had my doubts, really did. Thought we might have another problem child on our hands but wow I am proud that Lotrat has hung around because the guy has definitely helped out our forum in more ways than one.
So without further ado let’s look at where he started and what he has done.
Lotrat wrote:Well, I've been in stalker mode for long enough I guess... My secrete identity is Anthony, doh... Live in North County San Diego and started my first baja project a few months ago. Most of my build is used parts from some of the good folks here, so I don't trust the car one bit. Just kidding, but not really. Made it to 38, married my high school sweetheart, and have 3 kids. I had two bugs back in my college days. A 74 super and a 69 std. Gave them up for motor cycles and V8's. Moved from Chicago to SD 12 years ago and have been doing the Jeep thing for too long. Broke and bored, I decided to get another VW to work on. A buddy of mine has 2 baja's, a rail, and 2 bugs (in his stinking garage with all his other toys) and talked me into building a baja. I ran across the "How to build a baja in a day" web page and it's been his running joke ever since. A day is up to 4 months now. I had a great time looking for a donor, looking for parts, and trying to figure out how to piece this thing together. Met alot of cool people along the way. I'm down to front tires and an aircleaner on my mostly stock baja. I just sold my stock hood for $80 bucks so I got some spending money!
This is where he started, cutting this up
Image
And after a few hours of tinkering, (we wish it only took that long)
Image
Image
Image
And yes Lotrat your life will be better from now on.
Lotrat posted here and he never really committed himself until the Off-Road Forum contest for the first Give away of the serpentine belt. He was all over that contest and I am sure he learned about the forum in the process. But in the end he won the prize.
Image
Then he started his own contest Lotrat's EASY STF ORF Contest Not much of a prize though.
Listed his name in The list of STF off roader names
And then we found out Lotrat is hooked on contests, why? Because he wins all of them. trivia contest...

And asked about the reliability of his baja he said
Lotrat wrote:I've only had my baja for 6 months. Every time I do some work I find something else that's past due. I was messing with the spring plates today, just trying to soften it up a little and just happened to notice this:

Image

It's not leaking, but it's close. Time for new brake lines on all four corners. I'm the one vote for 25%, though I'm running out of stuff to replace.
What percentage would you give it now?
He is even sticking up for guys in here, not that they deserve it though.
Lotrat wrote:
Leatherneck wrote:
motorbreath53 wrote:I'm just happy to be here Rick..... and will happily sport whatever sticker you print.

GO TEAM SAMBA!!!


....... :oops: wait.... Go STF!!!!
I'm going to break his neck! :twisted: :lol:
Forgive him, he has a few screws loose. Or was that castle nuts?... :lol:
And another contest comes along, yup he is there Bling give away
One thing about Lotrat, he just doesn’t hang around the dirt pile, the guy is in a lot of the other forums helping out where he can and that is highly appreciated by myself and all the STF’rs
And so we had another contest, who do you think was there? OR wheel of bling Ah but couldn’t win. But he helped to keep things interesting to say the least.
Even got him out on his first desert run Lotrat's 1st Desert Run
I know I have said it before but I am impressed with the help Lotrat gives, he knows or maybe thinks he knows how to help somebody out he is there. That is super cool!
Lotrat has one of those Baja’s that does not require a lot of work on, he does some break lines, rear arm work but it just seems to be like the Rabbit just keeps going and going and going.
He did a great “How to” How To Install a Serpentine Belt System which has really helped out a lot.
He was out with his family having a good time and that is what this is all about.
Lotrat wrote:If Thanksgiving weekend's weather is like this weekend, get ready for pure heaven in the desert.

Here's some pics of my trip this week end with the family.
We got there about 7pm Friday Night. Holmes Camp was empty.
Five in a baja?
Image

Saturday Morning at Holmes Camp.
Image

Mrs. Lotrat threatens to throw one of the kids into the canyon:
Image

Mrs. Lotrat even took the wheel for awhile:
Image

Serpentine Belt held up to the sand. I need to RTV the crank bolt. Once my breather clogged up, oil started spitting out the sand seal:
Image

Holmes camp filled up by the afternoon, so we moved to a quieter spot Saturday night.
Image

The kids took a turn at driving again. Someone took an extremely rare picture of me while my 11 year old was driving.

Image

Image

We had a great week end. The only breakage was the crimp connector on the oil pressure sender wire. The carb won't idle for some odd reason, so time to upgrade!

I still plan on going back on the 28th. Hope to see you guys out there.
And how did you do on your Christmas list?
Lotrat wrote:A set of front and rear Bilstein Shocks
Roll cage
Suspension seats
5 point seatbelts
Rancho pro comp trans
Rear tires
A carb that works, even a little 34PICT-3 will bring joy to my heart.
And an official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock!
And his sense of humor shines through again.
Lotrat wrote:we've seen your cars....lets put a face to it?



Ok, how's this?




Image

Wow, really comes alive.
And some more pics, always glad to post these types up.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
And the ever popular name that sound/part
Lotrat wrote:Hammer time... what is it?

Image
I have been through all 155 pages of Lotrat and I can honestly say I am glad he is here. Lotrat, thanks for being part of the Shoptalkfourms Off-Road crew. Really appreciate all you have done and helped out with.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:32 am
by david58
This place defiantly wouldn't be the same without THE RAT. He well deserves Member of the Month for sure. Keep up the great work Lotrat. Nice pics I might add too.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:51 am
by Sneaks
Yay, well deserved!

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:36 am
by fusername
and so your gonnan let him win .another. contest? sheesh this guy just wont go away. hes worse than that darn rash...

congrats lotrat on the fastest build on the stf apparently :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 am
by turboblue
Congrats 'rat.

Welcome to the STFORFOROTM club.......... 8)

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:20 pm
by Qurtys Lyn
Congrats Lotrat. We all aspire to your greatness... at least for the month of October.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:34 pm
by cwrisley
I want my bumper back....


:wink:


Congrats brotha.

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:19 pm
by baja5
Congrats, man, you really Do win everything :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:32 pm
by mikeadams
Lotrat is such a nice guy - he even shares his good beer!

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:28 pm
by namelesswonder
fusername wrote:and so your gonnan let him win .another. contest? sheesh this guy just wont go away. hes worse than that darn rash...
Ditto =P Congrats Lot!

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:09 pm
by Lotrat
Gezzz we hit bottom already? I was really looking forward to seeing some pics of a cool ride. I'm almost speechless with this one. I could think of alot better guys/rides to pick for this honor.

It's been a fun time with the baja. It gives me something to tinker with and to go play with. I have met alot of cool people along the way. Lots of good part hook ups too. STF is a great place too. I'd probably have more done to my baja without it, but I wouldn't be having as much fun. I post alot of silly things, but it's all in fun. You guys really crack me up for the most part which is all I need to get me through the day.

My baja is far from being done. Heck, it's really not even started yet. No cage, stock seats, and most of it's original parts are still there. It's really the slowest build you have ever seen. My buddy with the white baja up above just put a widened beam and 3x3 on his car this weekend, so I may to do something to keep up. Maybe not. Right now I would just be happy with some brakes (scored a free drum tonight 8) )

Thank for all you guys do to make this a fun place to come to. Beer is on me!

Re: October Off-Roader of the month

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:36 pm
by Lotrat
Leatherneck wrote: And how did you do on your Christmas list?
Lotrat wrote:A set of front and rear Bilstein Shocks
Roll cage
Suspension seats
5 point seatbelts
Rancho pro comp trans
Rear tires
A carb that works, even a little 34PICT-3 will bring joy to my heart.
And an official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock!
Got nothing last Christmas...
Ricko hooked me up with a 34PICT-3, it's doing ok now.
I just bought some retreads for myself, but the rest of the list stands for this Christmas.

Re: October Off-Roader of the month

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:31 am
by david58
Lotrat wrote:
Leatherneck wrote: And how did you do on your Christmas list?
Lotrat wrote:A set of front and rear Bilstein Shocks
Roll cage
Suspension seats
5 point seatbelts
Rancho pro comp trans
Rear tires
A carb that works, even a little 34PICT-3 will bring joy to my heart.
And an official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock!
Got nothing last Christmas...
Ricko hooked me up with a 34PICT-3, it's doing ok now.
I just bought some retreads for myself, but the rest of the list stands for this Christmas.
I would add a turbo to that list. :lol: I hope there isn't a contest to win a turbo...........we all know you the winner would be. :lol:

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:45 am
by Lotrat
The funny thing is that other than here, I'm the unluckiest person on the planet. I never win anything, no matter what I buy I always find the one item on the shelf out of 100 that is broken, I always just miss out on some deal, whenever something looks like an easy fix it ends up needing a complete overhaul, I have never owned a tire that didn't pick up a nail, and all my coupons expired yesterday. I have learned to expect it but I'm still amazed how often it happens. STF provides hope for the hopeless.

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 am
by Skidmark
Congrats!