Page 1 of 11

Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:26 pm
by dfhtrhjn
I was wondering if there are any more of these in circulation. There were only 14 made so it may be a stretch.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:33 am
by John S.
I remember they used Pinto steel doors and a Vega hatch.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:08 am
by letterman7
First one I've actually seen outside of the advertisements. Looks great!

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:41 am
by dfhtrhjn
Thanks, I really like the car. I'm beginning to think they all ended up in junk yards or something.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 am
by Dale M.
Looks a lot like a PUMA, but I think it has better lines....

Try Google search "Fierro 600" lots of "hits"...

Dale

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:25 pm
by Lo Cash John
Man I have ALWAYS wanted one of those! I remeber seeing an article in Kit Car magazine back in the 80's and fell in love. They were so well thought out with the pinto doors and Vega hatch. Sort of a Kelmark GT but a lot better for all weather conditions.

I search The Samba, Ebay, Craigs list, etc from time to time hoping to score one.

You said there were only 14 built. How do you know this and what other history/stats do you have?

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:08 pm
by dstar5000
The Kelmark GT was another one, more widely produced.
Try that in your searches.

Don

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 pm
by dfhtrhjn
A friend at the shop I go to was sifting through a bunch of old hot vw magazines from the 80s when I happen to be there with the car. There was a small paragraph on the guy, Joesph Fierro and the 14 of these. The car has been my daily driver for over a year now, it's really well built.

There's very little vw left under all of it. Most of the pan and stuff is cut away; it still mounts a vw tranny and mostly vw/compatible suspension. The rockers panels, some body mounts, floor, and stuff are gone replaced with a wide chomoly cage in the shape of the car you see that surrounds the driver from top to bottom, side to side. Has fiberglass floors too. The whole body is sitting on that cage. The cage is hidden by well placed fiberglass upholstery panels so you'd never be able to tell until you strip everything out (which is what I did, then put it back together). It has a ford steering collumn, nissan 280z taillights, totally custom wiring, and weighs a few hundred pounds less than my Porsche 912 did. (I'm guessing about 1600-1700lbs based my ability to push it up hills by myself)

I can't imagine how many hours of labor it took to build one originally.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:05 am
by Fierro friend
I have what I think is the next to last one built. I met Joe Fierro at the 1985 Kitcar show held at Knott's Berry farm. I began working for him while earning enough money to buy a body kit. I do know that Joe was having personal problems at the time, but I was unaware that the body in the mold was to be the last. With his help, I installed the body on the pan at his factory, and installed a Mazda 13B rotary engine with a Kennedy adapter.

I have finished the mechanicals and most of the body prep work for paint and interior. The project has been idle for some time as life happens and money went to other projects. I may be able to answer questions regarding the construction if there is interest.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:15 pm
by dfhtrhjn
The car is coming along pretty well, here are some newer pics.

Image Image

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:41 am
by WickedWagens
That looks really nice. Very nice body lines.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 pm
by bo
nice carthe gottis look at home on it

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:58 pm
by Darryl Castone
Yeah i own one myself.
i just finished restoring it for the most part.
it has a matching steering wheel, and eventually im getting new wheels to compliment its style.
Before restoration
Image
Image
Image
Image
After restoration
Image
Image
Image
Image
not sure how i want to change the tail lights
Image

PS: i dont use the email im registered with. Contact me @ [email protected]

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:57 pm
by WickedWagens
You can change the e-mail you are registered with in your profile.

I like the dual/corvette tail light look.

Re: Does anyone else out there have a Fierro 600?

Posted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:38 pm
by Chris V
^x2