The OEM style side mirrors (aftermarket reproductions) on my '71 Ghia coupe will not hold their positions over about 45 mph. Does anyone else have this problem, and is there a fix?
I have fiddled with the nuts to tighten up/down and in/out adjustability, and unless I just totally crank the nuts down to lock the mirrors into place the mirrors will slowly rotate down and inward while driving at higher speed. Just makes me bat***t crazy. I want to be able to adjust the mirrors (my wife and I share the Ghia) and have them hold position once adjusted.
It really shouldn't be so friggin' tough. Do I just have junk side mirrors? If so, where can I get OEM quality ones?
Side mirror adjustability problem - '71 Ghia
- Greg Rickard
- Posts: 153
- Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:23 pm
- Piledriver
- Moderator
- Posts: 22879
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am
Re: Side mirror adjustability problem - '71 Ghia
MAMW and even CIP1 sell different grades of mirrors, they even sell Ghia mirrors at least for the drivers side.
Like most things, you tend to get what you pay for.
Expect ~$50 for a decent OEM grade mirror, new.
Depending on the mirror, you may need to do a bit of work on the tension mechanisms so the spring can compress properly.
The wedge piece/hex bit also have to lock together.
I ran out of matching parts fixing a stock T3 mirror, ended up cutting a Swagelock ferrule down the side with a dremel for the wedge, it clamps fine and holds fine at ludicrous speed.
The stud stripped out on the OG one, brilliant plan, fine thread on pot metal... Turns out the later setups (aftermarket?) used 1/4-20 thread so I reworked the arm for 1/4-20 SS studs and all is good.
Like most things, you tend to get what you pay for.
Expect ~$50 for a decent OEM grade mirror, new.
Depending on the mirror, you may need to do a bit of work on the tension mechanisms so the spring can compress properly.
The wedge piece/hex bit also have to lock together.
I ran out of matching parts fixing a stock T3 mirror, ended up cutting a Swagelock ferrule down the side with a dremel for the wedge, it clamps fine and holds fine at ludicrous speed.
The stud stripped out on the OG one, brilliant plan, fine thread on pot metal... Turns out the later setups (aftermarket?) used 1/4-20 thread so I reworked the arm for 1/4-20 SS studs and all is good.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
-
helowrench
- Posts: 1925
- Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:20 am
Re: Side mirror adjustability problem - '71 Ghia
remove the mirror but not the base.
see the 10mm nut under there. remove it to expose the shaft.
wander down to lowes, and get some nylon washers
use the nylon washers with under the nut.
it allows you to tighten them up, but have a steadily rising rate of friction change.
repeat same procedure on the other axis.
Rob
see the 10mm nut under there. remove it to expose the shaft.
wander down to lowes, and get some nylon washers
use the nylon washers with under the nut.
it allows you to tighten them up, but have a steadily rising rate of friction change.
repeat same procedure on the other axis.
Rob
- Greg Rickard
- Posts: 153
- Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:23 pm
Re: Side mirror adjustability problem - '71 Ghia
Helpful suggestions. I'll try the nylon washer solution...both inexpensive and logical in its approach. 