How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Need help straightening that dent? Or painting your car? This is the place to be!
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by david58 »

I been looking around the net a minute or two on chopping the top. While I have found some great info I haven't found a real good explanation to how you can get the back of the chop as low as the front. I don't like the wedge look.
Image
I made a template of the rear side window's shape I want to end up with.
Image
Then I taped the part I cut off for the 3 3/4 chop to the glass to see what it will look like.
Image
Then I put some tape on the drivers side window to see what it will look like when chopped.

Now here is what I am having the most trouble with. The drip rail is shorter the lower you go under the rear window. So how do you align the drip rail when you chop the top?
Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
crazy tarzan
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by crazy tarzan »

The drip rail may need to be re-manufactured to match the chop. You can also do cuts to re-align the posts so that they flow properly (think of cutting a pie into pieces, but not cutting the posts/pillars all the way through) you will then need to fill any empty spaces.

Another thing to add strength back into the posts/pillars is to put high strength tubing that just fits inside welding it in and then welding the seam from the chop.

Hope this is helpful, and not just the same stuff you've already found.

You can also make the cuts at different levels of openings (ie one at 5" on the front of a window, and on the back at 3") to help it match up properly, just make sure you take the same vertical distance out of each cut.
User avatar
SCOTTRODS
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Here's a "how to" thread from the Samba....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by david58 »

Thanks I have already saved that a couple days ago as a pdf file for future use.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by david58 »

Thanks SCOTTRODS I went back and studied that thread and actually made a power point slide show of what I need to do. The slide show will be great help for quick reference. It has 53 photos in it from that thread. And I think this will be the best chop for me with the least amount of work. I didn't like stretching the top in the other chops I found, just too much work for me. And having to cut up another top to do it. So now I am waiting on Willie to come over so we can put our heads together, and see if we can get the ball rolling. With the plasma cutter we should be able to cut the top and tack it back on in a few hours. Something that wasn't covered in that thread was........Will the door windows still work when you tilt the window frame into the top?
And thanks also crazy tarzan for your words of wisdom.
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
DWP
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:58 am

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by DWP »

Look around here
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/
about everything you need to know
DWP
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by david58 »


Check out this crazy creation from the minds of Hudlow Axle in Georgia. They made a Hot Rod VW Bug with a GSXR 1000 Motor! ...
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
User avatar
david58
Moderator
Posts: 14100
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:14 pm

Re: How Do Ya Chop A Top?

Post by david58 »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
Post Reply