Finally coming together

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
crankwalk

Re: Finally coming together

Post by crankwalk »

Those wheels look perfect on that car. Good luck with it!
'12 VW Jetta TDI sedan- MPG queen
'76 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4- Garage Queen (turbo boxer swap)
'73 Datsun 240Z- Autox'er
-Jay Gilling
noslzzp

Post by noslzzp »

Are those 17 inch wheels?
Introducing the Basilari 306R - '58 low light Ghia, 300HP+ boxer 6
http://basilari.com/
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

I love the idea of the mini radiators. I may copy that if you dont mind.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Well, I'm back on the 'jazz' after delays associated with having...or at least being involved in raising 3 kids and work that had me traveling 3 weeks of the month. Corona virus has had me at home, and I've been able to get a surprising amount of things done on my Ghia.

The pics are re-colored renderings I commissioned to 'see' what my vision of the Raketenhase (translated - Rocket Bunny in German) Ghia.

Stay tuned for regular updates, with the goal of firing this thing up and driving it this year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Part of the challenge with my vision is that no-one makes parts 'small enough' to fit the Ghia - duckbill spoiler-wise. I reached out the the people at Clinchedflares and they set me up with the closest thing to what I'm looking for. It's from the Mitsubishi Evo, but has the profile i wanted. Now to learn 'plastic welding' to get it to fit properly...unless anyone has any better ideas - that still involve me using the spoiler of course.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

I've got an OBP pedal cluster to replace the rusty original equipment my Ghia came with. I didn't want to replace with 'good' factory equipment due to how I plan to use the car, so I went with the version that mounted the master cylinders facing the driver which allows me to push the pedal cluster as far forward as I can. I still have to figure out the best method for mounting this to the floor / reinforcement so that under hard braking...it won't break free.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

OMG!!! If you've ever had cruddy parts that you were trying to wire-wheel to clean up...STOP IT! Find a shop that does vapor honing like Ravenstone Vapor honing near Seattle!!!! Edward there is an alchemist!!!
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Thanks Marco at Mansispeed.com for o-ringing and port matching the dry sump pump I purchased to use in my WBX engine! You are THE man!!!

Now no more worrying about losing oil pressure in this power plant.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

I've always been a huuuuuuge fan of the Germanlook style, one of the biggies has been the use of Porsche wheels, which obviously means Porsche brakes. I decided to run 944T as they've been used quite a bit in various builds I've seen. Frank @franklinsvwerks in Kent, WA took my lowered spindles, mated them with 944T spindles to allow me to 'bolt-on' the 944T brakes up front.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

I love great tips that get the job done and save me money.

I was looking into oil cooling for Raketenhase and Marco from Mansispeed.com made a really cool (pun intended) recommendation. Since the 993 was a much larger air/oil cooled motor that needed an efficient cooler to keep oil temps in check, he recommended I get one.

I looked around at various oil coolers of any 'real capacity' and found that they were a lot of money...not like that's typically an issue for all of us here...but I was able to on eBay score this massive oil cooler for $175!!! I just had to order up some metric to AN fittings for the top and voila...more cooling than I can shake a stick at!
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Spent the afternoon swapping out the steel Volkswagen IRS trailing arm for the early Porsche 944T semi trailing arms. They moved the wheel/tire outside the body by 50mm, but more is to come once the flares arrive. Only required changing the pivot bushing from the Porsche one to the Volkswagen bushing.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

Soooo, I've been wanting to be able to 'sit' in my Ghia and make vroom, vroom sounds for a while. Challenge was...the Porsche seats I had weren't bolted down, and were super heavy. I scored a deal on a set of Corbeau Forza fixed back seats and needed to fabricate some brackets. This was my FIRST time welding up something that wasn't practice coupons.

Let's see how they work with me and headroom now.
xzener

Post by xzener »

How's this project coming along, any progress to share?
Boost is contagious.
DORIGTT

Post by DORIGTT »

OMG! So much water has passed under this bridge! I've put most progress posts on facebook or instagram, though I have taken a fair amount of video footage that needs to be edited...like when I made the coolant lines to go front to rear... and eventually put on youtube.