I was backing up yesterday and my foot slipped off the brake resulting in me backing into a large tree. The bumper on the passenger side took the hit, and the bumper "collision device" collapsed inward by about 4-5". Now it remains collapsed. I always thought they were spring loaded, and would reset by them selves. How do I get this to return to it's original position?
Marc wrote:They're intended to be one-use-only sacrificial items, but it is possible to pull them back out. Not recommended for safety concerns, but possible.
1974 rears are one-year-only; `75-`79 all interchange. they're side-specific, but Super and Standard are the same.
Thanks for the info! ..... Think that I will try the pull it out trick
If overdone, it can pull apart - and theoretically with a good deal of force - so don't be standing inline with it. It's only a couple of bolts to remove the facebar first so you can access the shock directly.
One technique I've seen used is to chain it to a tree or post, pull forward enough to take out the slack, then set a wheel chock a few inches ahead of the rear wheel on that side before tugging again to limit the travel. Keep in mind that it's only bolted to the sheetmetal, so make it a straight pull to avoid tweaking the body.
Marc wrote:If overdone, it can pull apart - and theoretically with a good deal of force - so don't be standing inline with it. It's only a couple of bolts to remove the facebar first so you can access the shock directly.
One technique I've seen used is to chain it to a tree or post, pull forward enough to take out the slack, then set a wheel chock a few inches ahead of the rear wheel on that side before tugging again to limit the travel. Keep in mind that it's only bolted to the sheetmetal, so make it a straight pull to avoid tweaking the body.
That is kind of what I had in mind ..... tie it to a tree and
slowly push it forward ..... worse comes to worse, I buy a
new one!
Steve Arndt wrote:The late model bumpers aren't worth much in a scrap yard. You could find good used ones.
Air cooled.net sells the new crash strut mounts too.
The bumper is still good, good enough anyhow! Hopefully
the crash strut pulls out to original size ..... I will keep the
group posted!
Marc wrote:If overdone, it can pull apart - and theoretically with a good deal of force - so don't be standing inline with it. It's only a couple of bolts to remove the facebar first so you can access the shock directly.
One technique I've seen used is to chain it to a tree or post, pull forward enough to take out the slack, then set a wheel chock a few inches ahead of the rear wheel on that side before tugging again to limit the travel. Keep in mind that it's only bolted to the sheetmetal, so make it a straight pull to avoid tweaking the body.
That is kind of what I had in mind ..... tie it to a tree and
slowly push it forward ..... worse comes to worse, I buy a
new one!
It worked really good to chain the "bumper impact bracket" to a tree and rock the car by hand to pull it out! It popped right out and seems to be intact!
Just remember, one time use things are not always as strong after straightening as the first time so keep your foot on the pedal and wear non-skid soles.