Page 1 of 1

Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 pm
by Marc
Haven't been able to find anything about what it takes to do this. Tom alluded to it back in 2003 but didn't furnish details. There's a local guy who needs to replace his ignition switch and lock mechanism and they're getting mighty spendy IF you can find a good one - updating the column to `68-`70 seems like it would be the best way to go in the long run but I've never done it and can't tell him what to expect.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:20 pm
by Jadewombat
Do you have one of each you could lay side by side? Measure the differences in lengths (if any), mounting points on the underside of the dash, and how they mate to the steering coupler.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:45 pm
by Marc
No he does not. Trying to find out from someone who's done it whether it's something he can handle before he buys a later column.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm
by Jadewombat
I really doubt they're drastically different. He'll probably have to cut and splice the wires from one plug on the back of the ignition switch to the other. If the bolt pattern on the sleeve of the column is different, it'd probably be just a matter of having someone fab. a simple plate to mate the two bolt patterns together.

I swapped in an IRS rear end from a '68 FB to my '67 FB. It was really straightforward. Unbolt one rear-end, move it out of the way, bolt in newer assembly. That was it. All of the bolt holes and rubber bushings were exactly the same on both chassis'.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:02 pm
by Marc
Ignition switch & t'signal wiring connections should be trivial, provided one doesn't go newer than `70. Big differences between `67 and `68 in the way the column mounts to the dash and the way that the horn circuit operates on a Beetle so I'm assuming at least some of the same issues would need to be addressed on the Type III. Tom said he put a later column in his notch and teased that the details are at his web page, but I've been unable to locate that information.
I can play "if, then" supposition games as well as the next guy, but this individual wants to see a "cookbook" answer before he commits to the idea.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:58 am
by aircooledtechguy
I shortened a '73-on SB column when I built my car. The 2 mounting holes under the dash didn't line-up, but a rotary burr or round file took care of that. I made the swap mainly because I wanted to get the wiper switch off the dash and on the column for convenience.

Re: Later column into 1966 Type 3?

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:42 am
by Marc
Thanks Nate. I wasn't suggesting that he go quite that new, since the `72-up wiper motors are wired differently. Since the `71 Type III ignition is unique and unobtainable, I believe `68-`70 would be the easiest to graft in. IF he wanted to rewire the headlamps to use the "X" circuit, perhaps a `71 Type I...