Page 1 of 2

Tube bender

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:08 am
by Leatherneck
I am building a tube bender, according to the plans there is 3/4 inch gap each side of the die, with a 1 1/4" pivot pin not worried about bending but what about side to side movement? Should I tighten it up so less of a gap?

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:46 pm
by Leatherneck
This is a upright using a Hyd jack. I don't expect it to have a lot of side to side movement but with a gap it could be possible, Just want to know before welding it up.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:04 am
by 883
Are different dies different thicknesses?

Spacers maybe?

Pics might help

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:00 pm
by dustymojave
YEAH...PIcs.

I just got an email from Photobucket last night saying their site is all back up and working.

The bigger the space, the more likely to bend the shaft in between.

Whose plans are you using?

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:27 pm
by cbeck
I can get a tape and take some pics of my bender if that will help.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:41 pm
by Leatherneck
cbeck wrote:I can get a tape and take some pics of my bender if that will help.
IF you could, I have a total of 4" space with the Die leaves about 1 1/2 on each side. Here are some pics, don't want to weld it though I can put spacers on it later as the pivot bar is removable.
Bender.jpg
Bender 2.jpg

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:54 pm
by JUSSUMGUY
I think you are good to go with the space between die and frame. The backing die is stationary and that will keep things lined up. It seems in this design that you would want the main die to be able to move a bit from side to side, this will allow it to line up with the stationary backing die. Just my 2 cents.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:57 pm
by bajaherbie
Are you done yet?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:48 pm
by BAJA-IT
You'll want to leave some space so that if you want to bend a larger diameter tube at a later time the die will fit in the bender.

Re: old member checking in.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:29 pm
by cbeck
Hope these help. The large part of the die has about 1/8" per side clearance between the arms and the small block is free floating with lots of pin exposed.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:33 pm
by cbeck
Hey leatherneck, I accidently posted the pics in the old member thread. I blame my computer.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:11 pm
by Leatherneck
I moved it over here, thanks for the info, I am probably going to put some spacers in it to keep side to side movement down. Thanks!

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:33 am
by fusername
a 1 inch pin can easily bend 1.5x.120 DOM with an inch or more unsupported on both sides. Mine has been doing it for years, although 90% of what I bend is .09 erw.

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:34 am
by fusername
i did sleeve mine tho so it dosn't take as much force, but I don't always use the sleeves, they just slide on and more help avoid the die rocking than actually support it

Re: Tube bender

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:29 pm
by Leatherneck
My pin is 1 1/4 but I will put a sleeve on like you did just to keep it centered. Thanks!