Seeing some old HotVWs builds, it shows how limiting 1 3/8 exhaust really is..
But,
I broke the big motor in my Oval (again
Was going to do a type 4..
I have a whole pile of t1 parts here, and we have to build this one around a set of heater boxes (German OG ones) so Mom will ride in it.
This is one for some mild miles, but as much fun as is practical.
So far, I have a counterweighted 69 crank, 8-doweled with a Scat gland nut.
(A high school kid might drive this one day soon).
Some 90.5s are here, as 1776 is generally accepted as the biggest before you choke a set of heaters.
(And I'm getting really sick of the issues with 94s and decked case-savers, etc.)
I'm on the fence if I should get a 1700# Kennedy balanced up,
Or maybe just a normal Brazilian Sachs, but maybe a Daiken, or "copper" disk?
It sure would be nice to run a light plate..
He heads are some really "nice" stock-valve (35 x 32) G03s that I spend about three full weekends on.
The chambers are opened up, and the ports done according to Fisher's book.
The valve job is pure artistry by my local guru here.
The fins are even detailed..
Think I should go ahead and buy some really nice Manley or SI valves, with thin heads, and swirl-polishing and all?
Or would that just be pissing money into the breeze?
There is an Engle 110 sitting here.
Was thinking Web 218..?
Would aluminum pushrods be light enough to run single springs with a Web 218?
Not really sure ti retainers would be sanity for this build.
Duals are sitting right here, as is the cutter...
For now, I have a set of K-dogs with bigger vents, vacuum port, etc.
Got an OG SVDA, too.
There is this set of Weber 36s my neighbor is trying to sell me...
I'll have 1 3/8 header, doghouse, t-stat, all tin, sump, full-flow, etc. etc.
Was even going to do full Hoover HVX mods on it,
And that requires stock rockers.
Was even thinking of using a set of old Courier Mazda feet, just to get the oil flowing,
And honor the memory of Mr. Hoover..
The aluminum pushrods would allow plenty more oil, with the clearance at start-up.
There is also a set of Autocraft 1.4s sitting right here too...
So, Any input from about valves, cam, clutch, valvetrain, etc?
Was thinking about 8.4(?) CR?
Maybe more?
More cam?
There comes a point of diminishing returns on a build like this.
My gut tells me to just throw it together old-school - duals, steel pushrods, 110..
Tough and done. One the cheap. Stuff is all sitting right here..
Anybody got a sanity check for me?
Would a more 'new school'' build be worth the effort and $$ ?
Or is something like this just not worth really messing about with...
