1972 Beetle - recommended plugs and wire set

The VW Beetle. Everything about bugs!
rrb6699

Re: 1972 Beetle - recommended plugs and wire set

Post by rrb6699 »

Well, it's sort of a local run vehicle but I can get on some side roads that have 60 MPH speed limits. I don't take it on the interstate because of the speeds being 70 which means 85 in most cases. Okay, I'm about to pick this project back up as I had something else to work on so this is sitting for a while.

When you said that right hand heater hose is supposed to be connected to the heater box air Inlet, do you mean routing it through the hole like the left side? I'm sorry I have to get back up to speed on this thing because I haven't been looking at it for a while.
When I first connected it up I just connected it to matching vent hose size ports. I disabled the heating in this one because I had to take apart all of the sides that were rusted and refiberglass them and I decided I didn't need heat in Florida but I did leave them capped off in case someone in the future should I sell the vehicle may want to run a heat again. As far as I'm concerned if the heat just came out in the rear seats that would be sufficient for this vehicle
The charcoal canister is still up under there although I don't know what condition it's in. I think it's okay I just don't know if the thing being the original one on the bug means it needs replacing. But I truly go for putting a brand new hose in canister on if I can find one that fits.

That 009 is probably the wrong one. When you order something from these online places I guess they just don't know anything about these vehicles because it said type 2 that's what I put in the order and that's what I got. Should I just replace the whole thing with a copy fire that comes with the whole unit? That way there's everything is matched I shouldn't have a problem with overheating correct?

I'm not sure if all the stuff is correct on this engine like the vacuum advance you're talking about? According to the serial number on this engine it used to be a generator engine not a vehicle engine. So I just assumed you could run hot for long periods of time at High rpm. Maybe when it was installed in the bug the 009 was also installed instead of the right one for driving. I don't know what I should do to fix that but I'm thinking of compifire might work with everything included.

Are you saying I installed resistor plugs? Should I change those out? I'm afraid when I went hunting for spark plug wires I just went for the size and got 8 mm instead of 7 mm. I didn't look the check to see if they were resistor wires or not nor did I do the same on the plugs.

As far as the vacuum advance diaphragm I'm pretty sure I had to install the carburetor the way I did and it's on the other side of the carburetor. I'm not sure if they made this carburetor differently or I installed it backwards but it seems like the linkages and everything matched up better the way I installed it.
RR

1972 Restoration Project.