Page 1 of 1
Remote start
Posted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:35 am
by Booky1
I am building a street rail and being that it has open sides what I would like to do is have no key start just remote start for theft protection can it be done.
Re: Remote start
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am
by ps2375
Anything can be done. How much electronics are you willing to put into/on it? I'd start by searching the internet to see if there are kits available out there.
Re: Remote start
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:10 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i47 ... %20Generic
For example.
I understand what you are trying to do but you have to remember to leave a stick car in neutral. I always use the trans as a backup for the e-brake. A DOT required mechanical ebrake is a requirement on the street.
Re: Remote start
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:21 pm
by Booky1
I understand your concern it would only be used as I would be setting in the seat not as a motor warm up.I also use it in gear as a backup to the emergency break.
Re: Remote start
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 am
by Dale M.
Easy enough to make interlock to force weight in seat (driver) and gearshift into neutral BEFORE starter can be engaged....
Look for any after market key fob remote the can be modded to press once to turn on, press again to turn off... But you still need starter button (different button on remote)... More of a DIY electrical experiment than a automotive accessory....
Re: Remote start
Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:12 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
An interesting conversation. With all things being said, with a rail you are also out in the rain and cold (I'm from the PNW and think that way anyway) where things can go wrong with electricity. Also, sitting in the rail and forgetting to pull the fob out to start the car would be embarrassing if someone saw you rummaging through your pockets while sitting in the seat I think
Hiding the power and starter mechanism from others searching and still being able to be accessed from the driver's seat might be a fun thing to do though. Nah, I'm having too much trouble doing the things I have to do as it is.
Lee