Page 1 of 1

2.1 dj cam on stock dp 1.6?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:03 am
by Albertoprop17
Hi everyone, I'm rebuilding my tired 1.6 dp engine from my 73 superbeetle and the cam gear is worn. I have a spare 2.1 dj cam and I'm thinking to put it on the engine. I'm going to put the 26mm wbx oil pump too.

Other than this, the engine is going to run stock, I'ts going to be a temporal engine because I want to build something bigger (like a type 4) but I need running this engine as soon as possible with the less expense, that's why I thought this setup.

What do you think? Maybe I can put a bugpack header that I have, just I'm not sure where it is :roll:

Re: 2.1 dj cam on stock dp 1.6?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:49 am
by sideshow
While physically it should fit, but the cam is expecting hydraulic lifters and the 1.6 case isn’t expecting those.

Seems cheaper in the short and long term to just use a regular beetle camshaft that trying to recycle one wasser part.

Re: 2.1 dj cam on stock dp 1.6?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 am
by Albertoprop17
Although the wasser cam has more lobe heigh (1mm taller) and more duration, both cams look exactly the same.

Do my stock pushrods and rockers work well without modifications? I don't want to cut and adjust the pushrods.

Re: 2.1 dj cam on stock dp 1.6?

Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:34 pm
by sideshow
The take up ramp is different between solids and hydraulic by design. Of course they look alike, it is a camshaft.

In a word, no. Steel is normal for hydro-cams, I doubt the length matches between the two. While most factory rocker arms used larger adjusting screws w/ hydros I doubt it is absolutely necessary. The dual springs I suspect are mandatory.