Group 96R Battery Fits aircooled VW Beetle

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Jim Ed

Group 96R Battery Fits aircooled VW Beetle

Post by Jim Ed »

Yesterday, November 5th, 2018, I installed an Auto Zone Duralast Gold 96R battery into my 1973 VW Beetle.
It has the same dimensions of the original group 42 battery and the terminal posts are in the same location.
The negative terminal post is a little shorter than the negative post on the old group 42 battery that I removed but, that is not a problem.
The Auto Zone Duralast group 42 with the 2 year free replacement warranty that I removed lasted about 4 and 1/2 years.
This 96R battery has a 3 year free replacement and a 2 year pro-rated warranty.
sideshow

Re: Group 96R Battery Fits aircooled VW Beetle

Post by sideshow »

Does it have the functionally same cap over the positive post, you know the one that reduces the risk of car fire?
And the other minor detail, how is it held down?
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

No, it does not have the protective cover over the positive post.
I tried using the red protective cover from the flat group 42 battery but, it did not fit very well.
For years I have placed part of an old rubber floor mat over the battery to prevent sparks arcing on the back seat springs with no problems.
My hold down clamp has not worked since, I replaced the rusted out battery tray pan back in the nineties.
I didn't check to see if the 96R has the lip for the clamp to grip on.
I use an acid absorber & neutralizer mat underneath the battery which also helps absorb vibration.
My last battery lasted 4 and 1/2 years.

BATTERY MAT ACID ABSORBER & NEUTRALIZER THE ORIGINAL "BATTERY MAT"
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-MAT-AC ... :rk:2:pf:0

I am just trying to help those who are having trouble finding group 42 batteries and that want a longer lasting battery with a better warranty.
H2OSB

Post by H2OSB »

Odd. I had to replace the battery in my son's 2004 Ford Focus a week ago. The correct battery for the car is the 42, but the "upgrade" for all of the Focus models of that era is the 96R. Of course, there were no 42s to be had so I spent a bit more and got a spankin new 96R.

H2OSB