Screen name

Ol'fogasaurus

Screen name

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Just got a new iPad and can't connect here due to what is thought being that my screen name has the apostrophe in it. Is that true and/or is there a fix for this.

Lee
sideshow

Re: Screen name

Post by sideshow »

First of all I have no idea what that is, guessing feminine hygiene product for mice?

Can you cut-in-paste your user name into google or STF? (normally select block, CTRL-C, CTRL-P...easy to do with a keyboard probably possible without). Sometimes embedded spaces are problematic but I have never heard of ' being a non-standard character.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

:lol: :lol: :roll: Probably a politically incorrect guess but then I have had so much eye surgery I know eye pads as something else :wink: .

The answer is no! No matter how I enter screen name and password in the log-in entry places is the " ' " that seems to be the problem. If I leave it out then it is wrong, add a space it is wrong and so on. In one of the blocking messages it said that the character (I forget the word they use but it was symbol or something like that)

I even had an Apple tech employee watch and comment while I tried to log in and he was confused. Since the local Apple store by us is being refurbished (it was supposed to be open by now) so the closest one it 10 or 15 miles way. I think I will have to make the trip before too long anyway.

Lee
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

foggy,

let me know if you continue to have trouble. Can fix. I think.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We are heading down to see Apple today as there are other things this iPad is doing that even confuse the iPad rep at one large chain store. If it is not the unit then I'll contact you. Thanks

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I got back a while ago from the Apple store where I talked to them about the screen name problem. The guy said that it has become a common practice in websites that symbols in screen names are not used but he also did not go as far as to say "banned".

In my case it is the apostrophe and I think there might be a couple of others that have/had symbols in their screen names too. My new Laptop that I got a couple of months ago allowed the connection pre October (this) but the iPod I got ~2 weeks ago now shows that things must have change here.

To use my iPod then I would have to have a second screen name which, I guess, could be done.

For what it is worth.

Lee
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

That is ridiculous the Apple 2 worked nearly with anything of the era, Woz is/was a genius. Even while dead the other guy amazes me how mediocre design is accepted as the normal. Stop buying crap
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

sideshow wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:01 pm That is ridiculous the Apple 2 worked nearly with anything of the era, Woz is/was a genius. Even while dead the other guy amazes me how mediocre design is accepted as the normal. Stop buying crap
Its not Apple, its just the way things are being done now days I guess or so I was been told. I try to log in here using the iPod and it is the apostrophy (symbol) that the site is telling me that is the problem; that and a couple of other things not understood having to do with time and where it is taken.
Slow 1200

Post by Slow 1200 »

doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

FWIW, I think this is nonsense. I use an IPad to access STF daily (no apostrophe issue). Something much simpler is wrong. Foggy, read referenced article and change setting for punctuation on IPad. Won't hurt anything to try. Check, check, recheck that you have typed everything in right. Sorry, have to make sure. Report results here.

If all is lost, I will change your screen name, eliminating apostrophe. Will make name change for all previous posts. No problem. Fixable, one way or the other.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Sorry Doc: I alone and with a tech, to guide and check on me, tried with and without the apostrophe. With the apostrophe the screen name was not allowed, no apostrophe or a space it is a new screen name but with "someone else's" password. "You have specified an incorrect username. Please check your username and try again. if you continue to have problems please contact BOARD ADMINISTRATOR" usually II get a note about the not allowing symbols.

Don't worry about it, I just won't use my iPad (sorry about the typos) to post or access (it won't even let me view the site [even as a visitor] other than the log in area). My desk top and laptop work here just aren't as handy as the 'Pad which I got mainly to sketch on.

Lee
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'll do whatever you would like or I'll try. I'll chase the apostrophe issue a little. It has never come up before. There have been a few apple issues over the years, but my guess is that they are all on the user end. But what do i know?

If you want, you could go create a new account username = Olfogasaurus or Ol Fogasaurus or Foggy or whatever with no apostrophe and see if that new account will work with your IPad. If it doesn't work, there is something about the IPad not set up correctly. If it works, it would give you an idea of what a username change would mean. I think it would be virtually seamless. Just dump the apostrophe. 5 minute job for me, I think. But up to you. I won't change anything until you say.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks Doc, as I said, I did try the deletion of the apostrophe and while it would have worked but I had to change my password too (the duplicate password it didn't like either as it said that someone else was already using it).

Not in a hurry on this right now so it may not happen right away. Too much other stuff going on to either worry about that or work on my buggy so both are free time projects :wink: :lol: .

Lee
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Let me know. I think I can fix where you don't have to change pw. Anytime.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Thanks doc. After T-giving is going to be less hectic... I hope anyway :wink: :lol: .

Lee