Drift pins

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Drift pins

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I stopped at a box store to get some new drift pins and guess what, they or other customers had no clue what they are.
IMG_1448 copy.jpg
These are a couple of the ones I still have that are usable. I think I have had them for close to 50 years now but they are still available at Sears and some other places plus on line. You will usually want at least two of each as that is the way things work. Right now I could use 4 of them.

The bottom tool may have been a hole set at one time but now is used for drift work.
IMG_1449 copy.jpg
Instead of putting screws and bolts in holes to align things up you drop in a drift pin and it's weight will let is settle to be snug in the hole (upright) w/o damaging either the hole or the fastener. A very quick way to set things in place when doing checking of fit or working around something.

Imprinted on the handles is:

:shock: Use safety goggles.

:roll: For line up use only

:twisted: Not for impact use (which of course one will use and the damage is not always good. The metal is not of impact quality only light duty line up use).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
doc
Site Admin
Posts: 3589
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:38 pm

Re: Drift pins

Post by doc »

I have the same old Craftsman set, more than 40 years old. Use them all the time.A thousand uses. When they break, they are probably still usable with a little grinding as a different shaped drift. Invaluable. Cheap.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Drift pins

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I saw the same set as I have on the web but under a different company. Under $20 or $30 as I remember.

They seem to be popular with gunsmithing so they are still in use.

Lee
User avatar
SCOTTRODS
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Drift pins

Post by SCOTTRODS »

You can buy them at Harbour Freight for Dirt Cheap... also with a set of Cold Chisels and pin punches... pretty darn good deal there, I think 20 piece set or so... small to large drifts all together in a fabric carry such too.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Drift pins

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

SCOTTRODS wrote: ↑Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm You can buy them at Harbour Freight for Dirt Cheap... also with a set of Cold Chisels and pin punches... pretty darn good deal there, I think 20 piece set or so... small to large drifts all together in a fabric carry such too.
I looked at the HF site earlier this week but for some reason I didn't see what you are talking about. I took another look upon reading your post(https://www.harborfreight.com/12-piece- ... 66337.html) and there they were... but in a 12 piece setup; they also have a second industrial set for a dollar cheaper but they look a bit different. Pretty much similar, but not really the same, to what I bought so long ago such as it doesn't have the duplicates like Sears kit use to sell. My wife needs a new, free flashlight anyway so off I go as soon as I can. Thanks Scott!

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Re: Drift pins

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_1455 copy.jpg
I did go up to HF and this is what they had. I think it was under $15. They were not even aware of them; down on the bottom mixed in with some other thing. I am not sure what those chisels are for in the center but the drift pins are there.

Thanks again SCOTTRODS!

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
SCOTTRODS
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:15 am

Re: Drift pins

Post by SCOTTRODS »

Good Deal!... Those are interesting and Neat drifts and punches and chisels too... I bought 2 sets of mostly pin punches when I got mine. They had them in Green and Orange paint schemes, so I bought one of each. Exactly the same set though. Over the last 5 years I have bent some pin punches and stuff... which were being used as alignment pins... but fro the money, I was sold too. Their online stuff doesn't show the sets I bought, but they show some similar ones in 12 piece, with more chisels and more center punches respectively... still, I'd just buy a handful of them over time... they're cheap enough at nothing over 15 bucks a set.
I have found them completely missing more than once. - PILEDRIVER

Some pics of My Powder Coating work
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/terrellster/
My Facebook Page for Powder Coating
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001788886297
Post Reply