Page 1 of 1

Cylinder Honing Crosshatch Angle

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:29 am
by doc
I saw on one of the TV car shows a brief demo of a new Sunnen cylinder honing machine. Among lots of sophisticated controls that are a mega upgrade on my 40 year old hand drill operated manual hone, it allows the operator to vary the angle of the crosshatching.

To what advantage? Why would one vary the crosshatch angle?

Re: Cylinder Honing Crosshatch Angle

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
I saw the same show on TV this am. They were getting a Sunnen hone unit; it was interesting to watch.

https://mooregoodink.com/engine-blocks- ... ain-power/

One of the sites I found (lost and can't re-find it) the angle on AL blocks is quiet a bit shallower than the old standard 45°; there was also another URL for the different angles with a table imbedded in it. Again, it is the material that has changed in the last few years hence the different needs such as angle and depth of the deburring.

Thing are getting so complicated now days which is why I like playing with the older engines.

Lee