Page 1 of 1

A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
Pix of a newly built tool box
tool box.jpg

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:42 am
by Dale M.
Might be ok for TV show garage, but I don't have room for it in my shop...

Dale

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:32 pm
by Bruce2
Yep, what a waste of space.
It's perfect for a poser. Us that do actual work have no need for it.

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
I agree but I have seen stuff like this before. Get your car done then... whadda you do then :( :lol:

Lee

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:01 pm
by Jadewombat
Too much time on his/her hands.

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am
by Dale M.
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: ↑Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm I agree but I have seen stuff like this before. Get your car done then... whadda you do then :( :lol:

Lee
The "Honey Do " projects you put off to get car done, and make wife happy so you can do future car project "again"...

Dale

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
Dale M. wrote: ↑Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am
Ol'fogasaurus wrote: ↑Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm I agree but I have seen stuff like this before. Get your car done then... whadda you do then :( :lol:

Lee
The "Honey Do " projects you put off to get car done, and make wife happy so you can do future car project "again"...

Dale
Never put off "honey do" projects intentionally (or even un-intentionally either for that matter). The cost of doing so is not worth the risk :lol: :shock: :cry: .

The few times I has been things like this is when the guy has a bunch of cars in a fully decorated garage; e.g., a show piece. I got to go to see the garage owned by the guy (it was a Saturday garage tour) who invented the bar code many years ago (had has since passed). As you drove in the house number coming in to the property was in a steel barcode. The garage was in a slight "V" shape and it had 13 areas. Each one was specifically set up such as a paint area, a lift area like for lubing and so on. There was even one area for display of signs, and other things and a complete collection of Flying A products (I worked in a Flying A station and was impressed as he even had logo stuff I had not seen). Very cool but no cars. As we left to go to another garage showing I found out that we only saw the first floor of maybe several floors.

Collecting cars isn't the only thing that can be done.

Lee

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:36 pm
by GS guy
Pretty cool "statement" tool box - but 100% agree it doesn't seem very practical. Working on my basement workshop "make-over" this winter and just picked up one of these:
Husky Small Tool Box.JPG
Originally I was looking for something a little smaller to replace an ancient box on top of my workbench, primarily to hold all my drilling bits and accessories (conveniently next to the drill press). Weird, but super difficult to find a 26"x 12" (L x D) box these days, especially with 4 drawers. Everything has been sold out since before the holidays, not sure when the new-year stuff will be coming available? I finally decided to go for this one and glad I did! No-probemo filling this guy up! The narrower box I originally wanted would have had a tough time meeting my needs - and this one seems much better built than any others (like the Craftsman Lowes is now carrying) I was able to find locally. Plus it matches my "Big" box. Been getting by with handed down tool storage/boxes for decades, nice to finally be able to get some nicer stuff!
Got to wrap up the workshop work pretty quick, get back to the honey-dos!

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am
by Dale M.
I have one of these (pic below) as my traveling tool box to take to races or backwoods with Jeep gang... IT has everything I need to completely disassemble a buggy to is absolute basic parts except a large socket for gland nut..... It has full set of Metric and Imperial sockets and combination end wrenches and other tools including a hammer to get pistons back into cylinders... And a set of mechanics gloves to fake people out...

Image

What more does one need...

Dale

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 am
by GS guy
My porta 'catch-all' tool bag. Limited capacity but works well enough for my needs. I still have an old portable metal box, but prefer the bag for tossing into the back floor-board - doesn't rattle and bang around as much. Won't work for rebuilding any cars or motors though like Dale's!
DSCN2922.JPG

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:21 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
Dale M. wrote: ↑Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am I have one of these (pic below) as my traveling tool box to take to races or backwoods with Jeep gang... IT has everything I need to completely disassemble a buggy to is absolute basic parts except a large socket for gland nut..... It has full set of Metric and Imperial sockets and combination end wrenches and other tools including a hammer to get pistons back into cylinders... And a set of mechanics gloves to fake people out...

Image

What more does one need...

Dale
I have one of those too but forgot what was in it until I went looking for my pop-rivit gun. It is full of small VW parts that are hard to find. Go figure! :lol:

Lee

Re: A new style of cool toolbox

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm
by SCOTTRODS
I have too many tool boxes and bags... can't even keep up with all of them. I've got 2 stacks of Craftsman boxes, one $nap On $ervice cart, 4 bags, 5 Steel carry boxes, and one really nice Blue Point Top box I got a good deal on but never could find a bottom to go with... and numerous Tool hangers on the wall, boxes and drawers full of tools... more in the car... I could probably do alright if I had to.

I used to do like Dale and carry only the necessities, but I like convenient tools that speed up a job sometimes too... And I have the 36 mm sockets (3 of them) and a Knock of 36mm, and multiple 17mm hex wrenches of different types from socket to plain old Allen wrench... multiple lengths Breaker bares and ratchets, and ratcheting and combination metrics... (Who needs all that SAE crap anyway, right?... I do for my day job)... Driving Toyota's keeps me grounded well when not VDubbing. Somehow If I could get a decent Hydraulic press in a bag I'd probably have one... Looking at a bushing and bearing driver one to do that as well...