Page 1 of 1
oil filter relocation
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 am
by scrawl
I'm looking at my exhaust and realizing i need to relocate the oil filter.
As i have an upright conversion going on, is there a down side to using a remote oil filter mount plumbed into my shroud mounted cooler lines, and block off the stock oil filter location? or should i just plan to run a separate pair of lines to the remote filter mount from the stock filter location?
Thanks.

Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:23 am
by NextGen
Hi Scrawl,
You may also ask the guys at Samba-- a lot of T-4 upright guys there and some experts in Europe.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewf ... 0b52ba9497
Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:24 pm
by wreck
Another option is to use a smaller filter . the stock filter has a 3/4 16 UNF -2B thread and . I use a filter for a 2005 on Toyota Hilux . same thread but a smaller filter . I can't see an issue with relocating the filter though , just make sure that the block off plate as a gallery to contact the in and out galleries .
Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:53 am
by bushoarder
Why do you need to move?
I’ve got an upright cooled type 4 in the bus and yes the stock filter is big it still clears the j tubes.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 am
by scrawl
need room for the collector heading up to the turbo.
Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 pm
by rioprelude
I have a CSP oil filter blockoff plate installed, and use a CSP oil cooler bypass to an external oil filter/cooler, with no issues. I think @Wreck uses a mocal oil filter adapter to an external filter/cooler, so either should work fine.
Re: oil filter relocation
Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 pm
by bushoarder
Ah ok, makes sense.
I would do a take off plate and put the filter as close by as possible. If you use the filter location you know you’re almost stock in filtration so the system will work as intended.
I have a take off for my cooler through the fan housing and it’s tight on space.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk