Floor mounted movable light stand

General tips/tricks/tools that could be utilized on any platform.
Ol'fogasaurus
Posts: 17881
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:17 pm

Floor mounted movable light stand

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

IMG_2062 copy.jpg
The other day I posted this portable light stand that I built for getting light into lower tight places or higher up places. It is a very simple design so I thought I might post some pix on what I did.
IMG_2067 copy.jpg
While cleaning up in the garage and looking for something in the shed I found a couple of old brake drums, in this case front bug brake drums. The rear brake drums are too light w/too small of dia. to be a good base. Also, since the drums were so rusted both inside and outside I wasn't sure they could be cleaned up and turned then add to that I don't use front brakes for playing in the sand.

I drove the bearing races out of the drums, in this case using my press. I then connect the bare brake drums to the lathe the, after some work time, I got the center section flush with the rim mounting area of the drum. Looking through my scrap pieces I found a length of 3" wide X 3/8th thick scrap and cut a 3" length from it.

I centered the length over the hole for the spindle mount and welded it in place. I then found several lengths of different dia. tube some of which slid together so I took the largest dia. length and welded it to the mount.
IMG_2068 copy.jpg
IMG_2069 copy.jpg
I then slid the second piece in the mounting tube then found a hose clamp I used for an adjuster.
IMG_2070 copy.jpg
The lamp shown's mount is a close fit but I should either add a mount for it to sit tight but this is the light at close to full height.
IMG_2071 copy.jpg
This is in a more collapsed height. I think it will go lower if I get another hunk of tube that goes all the way to the bottom.

The other light I have has a circular light and magnifying glass in it and it has a smaller dia. mount so I will have to make something plus get another length of tube so I can stand and look at something under the glass.

In all it took me something like a half an hour to build.

For what it is worth. Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.