Page 1 of 1
Looking to build my first motor
Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:53 pm
by Twister
Any advice on building a 300 hp bug motor? I picked up a stock motor for my 66 was hoping to start with that. I think its a 1300cc single split port. This guy next door sold it to me, I guess it's the one to have for high HP
Re: Looking to build my first motor
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:16 pm
by Bruce2
Why do you think you need 300hp?
A 1300cc engine is a poor start for anything bigger than 1300 cc. Start with a 1600 cc dual relief case.
Re: Looking to build my first motor
Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:33 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
Bruce2 wrote: ↑Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Why do you think you need 300hp?
A 1300cc engine is a poor start for anything bigger than 1300 cc. Start with a 1600 cc dual relief case.
I agree with Bruce 2, there is more HP potential using the later dual port cases and heads than starting to throw money at a single port setup. For a stock repo VW they work and look good and clean stock but if you could get 300 HP out of the 1300 I am not sure just how long your engine would last. There are a lot more good potential (and a bit of safety work) in the later type 1 engines.
Lee