Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Good morning and hope everybody’s had a good weekend so far. There’s obviously a lot going on right now so I hope people are taking care and staying safe.

As a detailed in another thread here I have a 2.7 L engine that Brothers in SoCal is helping me put together. I’m building this engine has a bit of a science project, not really chasing numbers or looking for bragging rights or anything like that. I’ve enjoyed the processing learned a lot, but it would be handy for planning purposes to get some idea of the horsepower/torque that this build is likely to result in.

There’s still some measuring and checking to do but if we assume;

2.7L displacement
2.0L heads ported and matched to larger displacement
8.5 to 9 CR
Street grind can, torque and mid-range grind
Dual Weber 44IDF

Where do you think that will put me?

I know there’s been some mention me to this but is there a cam profile that you would recommend for this.

Hope it is OK to start a new thread – this seems to be a fairly popular topic over the years so I wanted to pull it out rather than have it buried in the other discussion.

Thanks!
wreck
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by wreck »

my guess would be 150 to 160 WHP . As long as you have a fairly good exhaust . You can put quite a large duration cam in a big type 4 and still have a very streetable engine as long as you match the compression to the cam . I've a 2600cc (103x78) with a 274 degree cam at 0.050 with 10.5 to 1 comp . With good throttle management it willl pull up a hill in 3rd gear at 2000 rpm . Thats in a Ghia that weighs 1000kg .
the 44's will be limiting it .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Thanks @wreck , appreciate the response.

I bet the Ghia really goes!
wreck
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by wreck »

it's fun . So far only run on an 1/8 track , best time was 8.48 , on street tyres with a stock 215mm sachs clutch . I've upped the head flow and upped the cam slightly since then .

The great thing about large type 4's is the torque and the fact you can have a daily driven high performance air-cooled engine that can survive in a warm climate .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Glad you are enjoying it - I am looking forward to the torque too, being able to roll on power coming out of a turn is hugely enjoyable.

Thanks again, stay safe.
User avatar
falcor
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by falcor »

I think you should do a bit better than 160? thats what I get from my 2,3 litre with a Web 163/86b cam and 10:1 compression.
I dont know carbs at all but arent 44's 44 mm in diameter? If so thats 21% more surface area than my 40 mm ITB's.
User avatar
MegaRookie
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by MegaRookie »

My first thoughts would be around 170 crank hp. This is also depending on the match of the components you mention + valve size, exhaust, how well the CR matches the cam and how well it is ported.

Ps. It is also depending on the dyno you go to ;) Some are realistic and some are giving you more hp for your money. 8)
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Good morning, thanks for the response @falcor. You are running higher compression than I think I will be, but sounds like you have a very healthy engine.

@MegaRookie - thanks for the thoughts, and I will try to find a friendly dyno. Ha. I'm more just curious about the likely range than chasing any specific number, have one more project that I am trying to decide what to do with and how this one shapes up will help direct that.

I am likely leaving some power on the table by using the 44 IDF from what I can tell / have learned but I am more focused on drivability which I believe these will provide.
User avatar
falcor
Posts: 201
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by falcor »

Yes but I think your 0.5 liters of engine size more will do alot more than my 2 points of compression does.
My guess is 175 hp +/- 15 hp depending on the supporting mods such as quality of headwork and exhaust etc.
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Good morning. Brothers is porting my heads, think I need to focus on exhaust now since that will likely be a limiting factor. Thanks for the reminder on that.
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Steve Arndt »

If you still have 42x36 stock size valves you may hit around 150 hp.
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

Hi Steve - plan is to go bigger than stock, will be done as part of head prep. Great consideration however, thanks!
wreck
Posts: 512
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by wreck »

it would be interesting what professionals (Brothers) recommend and get flow wise out of your heads , if you can share that data .

after a little development I ended up with 47mm intake and 40mm exhaust valves . I think 40mm exhausts are as big as you can go , I had an issue with a porous bubble in the port wall just under the seat , lucky, I was able to fix the leak without welding in a simple manner ,maniseal and wedge of aluminium flat bar held in by the header flange . The hole showed how thin the port wall was with 40mm valves . I guess that is why 38mm is a popular size .
My exhaust flow is about 185cfm at 28" at 0.550" . Intakes flow 230cfm at the same lift . There is room to open the intakes up more but I'd loose air speed and also if you can't get it out don't put it in .
No matter where you go , there you are !
Tdskip
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Tdskip »

I will be happy to share what I find out after talking with Botheers and pass along what they recommend.
User avatar
Bills914-4
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:09 am

Re: Help me ballpark horsepower/torque on the 2.7 L build

Post by Bills914-4 »

Hello , I'll share my old 2800cc ( 10 years ago ) it made 180 hp & 185 torque
under 6000rpm @ the wheels on a chassis dyno, add 15% for flywheel h.p.
I was told & later learned it was under carbed and under cammed ( for me )

If I rebuilt this exact motor again I would not go more than 9.5 c.r. , if you go high on
c.r. go bigger on cam dur. on big motors ,(I currently run 320 adv. dur. :) )

84 x 103
48 x 38 self ported NON-welded heads
EMW J grind cam ( 106 lobe angle, [email protected] / 307 adv. x .500 lift with stock rockers
45 dells
10 to 1 c.r.
mallory unilite
1 7/8 C.F.R. tangerine exhaust
chasiss dyno.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill DeWitt
2800cc 914-4
TwinPlugs & MegaSquirted
Now Boosted 7-10 psi :twisted:
Weekend Therapy :D
Post Reply