Page 1 of 1

What clutch for a 2.4l type 4

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am
by pnikas
Hello , I want to build a type 4 with 103mm pistons and cylinders .
I run a 914 gearbox , so I can run basically every clutch possible .
I currently have a 2.0l with a stock 210mm clutch
I was thinking about the stock 914 clutch and flywheel , but the flywheel by it self is really heavy and the clutch is more expensive .
The other solution is the 228 clutch system .
The question is if the wbx flywheel bolts right on the type 4 crank , and if these flywheels can be found forged as stock units .
Thanks

Re: What clutch for a 2.4l type 4

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:23 am
by MegaRookie
I have used a standard 210mm, which started slipping at about 130 hp on the dyno. After that I used a 200mm with Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate. I don't know if that is an option for you? It all depends on the torque the engine produces.

Re: What clutch for a 2.4l type 4

Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:58 pm
by Steve Arndt
the 914 flywheel is deeper than all the VW versions including wbx. You need to use the 914 flywheel with your 914 (or any 901) trans. That is from my memory when I wrote the 911 5 speed install article 20 years ago so...

Re: What clutch for a 2.4l type 4

Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 am
by Clatter
I recently went through this with a 2270 I'm building right now.
I'm using a 923 trans, so the same as a 914 clutch-wise.

There are a few options. Pile claims good success with a 228 Bus/Vanagon setup.
It supposedly fits in the 901 bellhousing with minimal clearancing needed.
Because of it's much larger size, it's a cheap way to get more holding power.
Drawback is the weight; some driving daily won't mind this, but if you're trying for a snappier experience..
Remember also that counterweights on a crank add to rotating weight as well.
The WBX flywheels are cast, as are the bus, unlike the 914. Ring it like a bell and it tells the whole story.
Therefore, the 228 flywheel is not to be chopped down to lighten.

A 914 flywheel can be chopped down. They are out there. I found one on TOS. 11#.
As for a pressure plate, i just decided to gamble on a Kennedy. Stage 1 1700#.
Turns out, they are new Sachs pressure plates modified.
There have been quality issues with Kennedy lately, so hopefully the 'Sachs' part helps?
Still a ways to go before i can report results, unfortunately..

There sure are a LOT of options for 215 clutch setups on Porsche sites like Pelican.
Dag.
Expensive, too..!

Here's some other stuff i found when playing with this lately, FWIW (scroll down).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... start=3460

Re: What clutch for a 2.4l type 4

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:09 pm
by NextGen
Well don't forget the Bus flywheels will accept the bunch of T-1 performance discs.

Up comes the subject of does size matter. Well in this case they are a smaller diameter, ha.