Page 1 of 1

2056 Build advice

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:51 am
by Karmadownunder
Hi All,

We bought a Karman a few months ago but are going type 4. I have been reading everything I can here and elsewhere and would appreciate your input to the plan.

I am not a mechanic, but have done lots of work on my own cars etc.

This is my first engine build.

Decent 2ltr case, crank and rods
all balanced
AA 96 Pistons and cylinders
AMC heads (39 x 33), flycut the step out
1mm deck
about 9.5 comp (im in Sydney with (98 RON fuel)
brand new 40 mm Webers
CB hex linkage
new Scat C35 cam and lifters
standard pushrods, rockers
Scat swivel adjusters
standard Kombi heaterboxes cut down to fit Vintage Speed Super Flow muffler
lightened conversion flywheel
Kennedy Stage 1 pressure plate
Megajolt programmable ignition
1303 gearbox with 3.88 r&P and taller forth

I'd really appreciate your input on if this looks sensible/any weak links etc

Thanks so much for helping another noob!

Toby

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:43 am
by Bruce.m
I’ll leave the combo feedback to others, however do make sure you measure up thoroughly. So you’ll need some measuring tools.

Only item that sticks out for me is mega jolt.
That’s a bit dated now, unless you have one already and the EDIS parts.

You can put together a simple 2 channel batch fire speeduino ecu (the NO2C version) for very modest amount. Even if you use it only for ignition, you are not tied to the EDIS module to set the advance and you can use any smart coil pack such as the VW 106b as wasted spark.

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm
by Karmadownunder
Thanks Bruce,

Yes, already have a Mega and EDIS.

Thanks for the input.

Toby

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:52 am
by wreck
That should be a nice engine . I agree with Bruce on the megajolt and a speeduino ecu is great advice but since you have it ,it makes sense to use it . What cooling system are you planning on using ?

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:03 am
by Karmadownunder
HI Wreck,

Thanks for the response.

I am planning a CSP kit/Cali with T4 cooler in the doghouse.

I'm in Australia and want to use the car in summer (with AC!) all year round.

Thanks again,

Toby

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:59 pm
by wreck
Try and get in contact with Sharpebuilt , He can supply a complete kit ,including the surrounding tin etc ,he's based in Queensland so you won't get hit with exchange rate and import duty.
http://www.sharpbuilt.com.au/sharpbuilt1/page11.htm

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:38 pm
by Karmadownunder
Thanks Wreck,

That was my first choice, but they told me they no longer do the cooling bits. Bummer.

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:23 pm
by wreck
I’d better get my arse into gear and produce a kit

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:27 pm
by wreck
I’m working on new molds and a stand to make a complete kit based off my shroud design . I wonder if I can buy the molds for the surrounding tin off him :)

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:59 pm
by Karmadownunder
guys,

Any other thoughts on my proposed combo?

thanks,

Toby

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:49 am
by Clatter
Combo looks good to me. Pretty standard mild build. Should be fun.

Only thing I might add is getting bigger valves if you haven't got the heads already.

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 pm
by Karmadownunder
Thanks Clatter,

I have the heads. is it worth it to have new seats etc machined in?

Thanks again,

Toby

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm
by wreck
There is some Sharpe conversion parts on FB market place with some larger valve heads ,


Something that may interest you , I’ve no idea on the condition ,just spotted it this morning .

Re: 2056 Build advice

Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:13 am
by Clatter
Karmadownunder wrote: ↑Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:12 pm Thanks Clatter,

I have the heads. is it worth it to have new seats etc machined in?

Thanks again,

Toby
IIRC, your heads are 2.0 bus heads, right?
Those are usually roached out around these parts.
Often they come into my hands because an old bus motor reached the end of it's life and died.
In that case, because the heads are needing seats anyway, it may make sense to put in bigger valves.
if you have a machine shop or a machine shop friend, say..

If your heads are in good shape,
It wouldn't be bad to just use them,
just might be down a bit on upper-end power vs. some bigger valves.

Will make the low end pull harder and the car easier to drive in traffic.

If you don't plan on pursuing a more powerful motor in the future,
Keep the compression and cam reasonable,
And you'll have a motor to last the rest of your life.