Page 1 of 1
Timing help please
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2025 11:16 am
by advinnie
Hi all, I have a 1600 motor running 8psi boost. I need to get my head around the timing. This is what I have done tell me if I have got it right or not. I’m using a CB Performance block box for the ignition
Here’s my map does it look right?
Cheers all
Re: Timing help please
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 7:39 am
by Piledriver
Looks reasonable but make sure you start out almost pig rich everywhere under boost.
If you cant to that retard a bit more and work your way up.
Unfortunately if you don't have something like a J&S Safeguard, you only find "too much" when things break.
Re: Timing help please
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 2:15 pm
by panel
RPM on the left but what are the top 2 columns? Boost / KPA ?
Re: Timing help please
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2026 5:21 pm
by Piledriver
Top is psi for those that are SI unit adverse
second is kpa
Saw an interesting bit of related history, story is the kilo and/or meter standards were sent to the US via ship very early on, the US wanted get get with the program, France was a huge ally, major trading partners in europe ...
(this is ~1795ish, so Jefferson, probably Franklin et. al. were active in this)
The ship was raided by pirates and the standards were lost.
Somehow, "Pirates" is why, unlike ~the rest of the planet, the USA still commonly measures in feet, pounds and miles almost 250 years later.
(did not verify the historical accuracy of the tidbit, but it sounds about right ;-> )
Re: Timing help please
Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2026 3:59 pm
by slayer61
Since the OP hasn't responded, I have to believe that the top line is PSIA
Re: Timing help please
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2026 12:26 am
by advinnie
Hi all. Yes the top two lines are PSI and KPA